Help.....in ground spa is losing water when running or shut off.

Mercy

Jan 25, 2015
Miami
I have an in ground spa (elevated, with water fall into pool) attached to my pool. I turned on the heat pump last night to heat the spa and noted that my spa water level was slowly dropping. I ensured that all pool valves (vacuum, skimmer, return, main drain) were closed since I only have one pump for both pool and spa, and only the spa main drain was open. I then noticed leaking of water at the exit from the heat pump to the pool/spa return pipe. I shut pool pump and heat pump off (did not re-open the pool valves). This morning the spa had lost even more water (significant amount) although nothing was running. I do not notice any leaking at the exit of heat pump to return pipe when I have the pool return valve open. Could this be a bad spa return check valve? I just moved into this home and this is my first time attempting to use the spa and heat pump. HELP!

Welcome to TFP!

A bad check valve will allow the spa to drain down when the pump is off, but would not make any difference when the pump was on.

Check to make sure no water is going back to the pool when in spa mode with the pump on by feeling a pool return to see if there is any flow. The return valve might not be in quite the correct position, which would allow the spa to drain regardless of the pump being on or off (which fits your explanation better).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.