Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

I found a lot of info on YouTube on building a Laminar Flow Nozzle, so I decided to build one. I installed it on my deck, overlooking the pool. It's a closed loop system. The pump is in the yellow bucket on the right and water goes through the PVC Pipe at the bottom of the deck to the Nozzle at the left, then streams back to the bucket. It has LED lighting, which looks really cool at night. It was a fun project. Here are few pictures/videos. Let me know what you think.

Day Video

Night Video

The nozzle is made from 6 inch PVC pipe, some Scotchbright Pad, a bunch of drinking straws, and a few other items. Here's a view of the construction.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Laminar Flow Nozzle

Definitely need one of these now.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Two questions. How big of a pump do you have running that, and how much did it cost to build? I may have a new thing to obsess over.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks awesome. Do you have more detailed building instructions? I wish my pool Laminars looked that good but the pool builder did not put a inline filter and now pebbles and other debris make the stream choppy.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pump is a Total Pond 1200 gallon per hour Waterfall Pump. It's actually a bit more pump than I needed so I put a Tee at the output of the pump. So part of the water goes to the nozzle and part just goes back into the bucket. I put a ball valve in the line back to the bucket so I could control how much water goes to the nozzle and how much goes back into the bucket. Here's a picture of this setup. The pump is inside a mesh bag (comes with the pump) that keeps debris out of the pump.

Cost to build was about $275. (not including a few tools I had to buy). Futher below I've attached my costing spreadsheet.

I don't have any additional build instructions prepared, but will try to answer any specific questions you have.

Here's a link to how one guy approached the design. My design is not the same but you get some idea how it all goes together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCrTcaBWcnA

In my project there is another component which is a low pass filter (LPF). This is needed to reduce the water fluctuations from the pump and steadies the stream coming out of the nozzle. The LPF is simply a pipe closed at the top and bottom with water going into a connection at the bottom and coming back out about 3 inches higher. When the pump is running the water pressurizes the air in the upper part of the LPF. The compressed air help to absorb the pump fluctuations. Here's my LPF which is made out of 6" PVC Riser Pipe.

Here is a link with more information on LPF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOZmby5K8c

Here's couple more picture of my nozzle.

Here's my project cost spreadsheet.

27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's great. Thanks for posting your parts list. I think, I might put a T on my return with a ball valve and try this out. The kids will go nuts over this.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if that is why my laminars are so choppy because they are missing a lpf or something...... Hmmmmm.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

This is awesome!!!! I just clicked here from a link you posted on one of today's posts (May 2, 2015). I love your laminar and it looks better than others I've seen! I'm going to show this to my son to build be for Mother's Day!!!! I'll pay, if he will do the work.

What beautiful gardens! Someone does a lot of work and it pays off! I also love the glass blocks under the spa spillway and the fountain in the spa! Wow, so many great things going on. I'm so glad you shared this. Take care! Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Suz. Thanks, I'm glad you like the Laminar. I'm sure your son will be happy to build one for you. If he does, post some pics here.

As for the gardens, it's my wife that does all work. She outside doing more right now. She loves it, especially this time of year, before it gets too hot. I do enjoy the fruits of her labor. It's definitely our oasis, which we enjoy.

Phil

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    The pump is a Total Pond 1200 gallon per hour Waterfall Pump. It's actually a bit more pump than I needed so I put a Tee at the output of the pump. So part of the water goes to the nozzle and part just goes back into the bucket. I put a ball valve in the line back to the bucket so I could control how much water goes to the nozzle and how much goes back into the bucket. Here's a picture of this setup. The pump is inside a mesh bag (comes with the pump) that keeps debris out of the pump.

Cost to build was about $275. (not including a few tools I had to buy). Futher below I've attached my costing spreadsheet.

I don't have any additional build instructions prepared, but will try to answer any specific questions you have.

Here's a link to how one guy approached the design. My design is not the same but you get some idea how it all goes together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCrTcaBWcnA

In my project there is another component which is a low pass filter (LPF). This is needed to reduce the water fluctuations from the pump and steadies the stream coming out of the nozzle. The LPF is simply a pipe closed at the top and bottom with water going into a connection at the bottom and coming back out about 3 inches higher. When the pump is running the water pressurizes the air in the upper part of the LPF. The compressed air help to absorb the pump fluctuations. Here's my LPF which is made out of 6" PVC Riser Pipe.

Here is a link with more information on LPF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOZmby5K8c

Here's couple more picture of my nozzle.

Here's my project cost spreadsheet.

ht where in hits pool?
    Hi,I am a new member on this Forum & need a little advice.I have built a Laminar nozzle using a lot of your plan 7 now need to know what the wattage of your LED lighting unit is?Everything else is working fine but I cant see the light in the arc of jet?I can only see the splash of coloured lig

11. Back To Top    #11

I used a 10 watt RGB LED (see parts list above). It must be night time to see the color in the arc.

Here is a video taken at night.

12. Back To Top    #12

Great fun project, you did a great job. I've got many other things I need to finish around here before I start on something like this, BUT this looks way more fun. A few questions if you don't mind, did you end up moving it to the pool and integrating it ? Or do you run it as a stand alone fountain as described with it being in the bucket. If the latter, how do you keep the water clean and half way sanitized, if any? Do you ever vary the stream for height or just a static colored display? Thanks.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

13. Back To Top    #13

Nope, didn't move it to the pool. I just ran it static for a year or two. I added a bit of bleach to the water every couple of days to keep it sanitized. I finally got tired of taking care of it and disposed of it. It was a really fun project though.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Nope, didn't move it to the pool. I just ran it static for a year or two. I added a bit of bleach to the water every couple of days to keep it sanitized. I finally got tired of taking care of it and disposed of it. It was a really fun project though.
    Makes sense, anytime something takes too much maintenance it will get old. Thanks for sharing your parts list and information about LED. Did the compartment the LED was in stay completely dry?
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

15. Back To Top    #15

It didn't really stay dry. It was in the open end at the bottom of tube. Rain couldn't directly hit it, but splashes could. Sometimes when it got wet it would stop working, but starting working again after it dried out.