Test Kit for my hot tub

Jan 1, 2015
Richland
I'm very new to this website and am trying to sort out all the great information. I have a 260 gallon outdoor hot tub (purchased August 2014) and am currently using Bromine (Frog with Bromine and Silver Chloride cartridges). I'm using AquaChek test strips. I'm trying to figure out if I want to continue with a Bromine system, or switch to chlorine. I don't have an ozonator (if that makes a difference). We have well water, and a cartridge filter. Can you recommend a test kit and tell me which system would require less maintenance. Thank You. The more I'm learning, the less I know!

Welcome to TFP !
Theses are the Test Kits we recommend using.
If you take a look in Pool School there is a good article on using chlorine in your hot tub. Take a look at it. I'm not sure if switching to chlorine will be any easier on maintaining your hot tub.
Let's see if some others with hot tubs can give you some better feedback on using chlorine. You can also search the spa and hot tub forum for some answers. Here's a thread I found if you would like to take a look. http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=9670.

If you let us know more about your tub usage, then we can help you decide which method would be best for you. Since you don't have an ozonator, that makes using chlorine easier even if you don't use the tub every day or two. Ozone depletes chlorine in between soaks. How many days per week do you use the spa? How many people use the spa at one time? How long do they soak?

OK thanks for that info. That's very helpful. With that kind of bather load I think the Dichlor-then-bleach method will work best for you, especially since you don't have an ozonator and you are using the tub frequently enough to be able to add chlorine after each soak and have it last through to the next soak. You can always try bromine at some point perhaps during the latter part of your water change cycle (i.e. a week or two before you need to change the water) to see if you like it better, but generally chlorine does a better job of keeping the water clear, getting rid of bather waste, and having a less objectionable smell if used properly.

In Jeff's first response to your post in this thread he linked to the instructions for the Dichlor-then-bleach method. Why don't you take a look at it and ask questions if you have any.

If you were to use only Dichlor in the spa, then it would build up Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and you would likely have to change the water after the standard Water Replacement Interval (WRI) which is (1/9) x (Spa Size in Gallons) / (# of Person-Hours Per Day) = (1/9) x (260 gallons) / ((2.5 days per week)/(7 days/week) * (2 people) * (40 minutes)/(60 min/day))) = 61 days so around 2 months, but with the Dichlor-then-bleach method you will likely be able to go twice as long between water changes and the water will be in better shape even at the end of that 4 month interval. Note that you have a smaller spa so the bather load is relatively high, though 4 months isn't so bad for changing the water.

If this is a new spa, then I'd recommend you getting Ahh-Some and use it just before changing the water, even if you do this with an initial water fill and water replacement. It will clean out any greases, oils, or biofilm that may be in a new spa. If you do not do this, then you should not expect to go as long as indicated above before your first water change.

Using bleach methode after ahh-some clean. Choosen for tf100 testkit.
Instead of dichlore i added cya right after fill. For the rest i love it.
Only side note is that i have to pay attention to fc level. Meaning i have to add chlorine every day to maintain correct fc level. Trying to solve that via peristaltic pump installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.