Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flowvis Flow Meter

1. Back To Top    #1

Flowvis Flow Meter

Should the Flow-vis flow meter be installed on inlet or outlet side of my pump filter? I have no room on inlet side so hopefully it will function properly on the outlet side of filter. Thx

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Flowvis Flow Meter

Yes, it will do fine on either side.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the outlet side of the filter is a better position so debris does not get in the way of the check valve closing and not sealing properly.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. Just installed a Pentair VS pump and will install Flow-vis flow meter soon to see how many gpm's I get at different rpm's which will determine run time to turn over my 15k gal. pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool site, glad I found it
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by whataboy View Post
    Thanks for the input. Just installed a Pentair VS pump and will install Flow-vis flow meter soon to see how many gpm's I get at different rpm's which will determine run time to turn over my 15k gal. pool.
    The concept of turnover is a little outdated. Flow rate has little to do with required run time. Read the study in my signature and the pool school article here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Flow-vis Flow Meter in the Dallas,Texas area? Thanks..
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

8. Back To Top    #8

You can get one from Dave: http://tftestkits.net/Flow-Meters-and-PSI-Gauges-c12/

But again, flow rate is not all that important to know.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Installed a Flow-vis check valve today after my heat pump. Had to remove and replace the 8 screws and apply silicone grease to the o-ring 3-4 times before I was able to get a good seal without any leaks at higher pump RPMs.

Approx how accurate is the Flow-vis reported GPM?

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

10. Back To Top    #10

Miles,

You might want to check out the meaning of OCD...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Miles,

You might want to check out the meaning of OCD...

Jim R.
    LOL. All kidding aside, my PB installed a Jandy check valve after my heat pump. I replaced the valve with a Flowvis retrofit kit. However I couldn't seem to get a tight seal in on one particular side of the valve lid no matter how hard I tightened the screws. So I finally removed it again and liberally applied the silicone grease and tightened again, starting with the side that was leaking. This time it seemed to make a good seal. Yes, it was making me crazy!

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

12. Back To Top    #12

http://www.h2flow.net/flowvis-flow-meter/

Average accuracy:

97.9% between 10 - 90 GPM (1.5" model)
    97.9% between 10 - 110 GPM (2" & 2.5" model)
    98.15% between 90 - 220 GPM (3" model)
    98.7% between 160 - 300 GPM (4" model)
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

A good reason to have it on the return side is to let it double as a check valve, just before chlorine injection or an SWG. I can swap mine with the check valve on my solar heat and do calculations on heat output, but yep it's mostly a human interest kinda device. If you have a buddy with a Jandy check valve you can share it. I like having it with the VS pump. Friction loss is a cost, albeit minor, unless it's doubling as a needed check valve. If it isn't needed after you know the system, you can remove it and replace with a cover with no check valve in it.

I might get poked with a stick for OCD, but I tighten them in a star pattern, going around twice, like a truck wheel.

Glad you found TFP
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners