Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Smell - Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, Texas

Chlorine Smell - Spa

I have a standard size hot tub attached to my pool, that I can segregate from pool, how much hydrogen peroxide do I add so the chlorine smell/chlorine on your skin goes away???

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Chlorine Smell - Spa

Welcome to TFP!

Are you referring to segregating the water from the pool before you go in to soak and you want to add hydrogen peroxide to reduce the chlorine level to around 1 ppm FC so that you don't notice the chlorine/chloramine smell during your soak? If so, then you use the same volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide as the volume of 6% bleach it would take for that same amount of FC you want to reduce. You can use PoolMath to calculate the dosage. Remember that the volume of the spa is pretty small. It takes 4-1/3 fluid ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide to reduce 1 ppm FC in 350 gallons.

I presume that right after your soak you will reconnect the water flow between the pool and the spa.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"