rubberized pool deck durabilty?

I did see this at a hotel in Atlanta when I was there this spring, not sure if it was exactly the same product but was a rubber coating comprised of many little pieces. It looked ok, was somewhat soft under my feet, prob about 1/2" thick. Since it is applied after everything has been set it creates a 1/2" ridge where it meets un coated surfaces like the coping. Thats all I can say, and have no idea about the lifespan.

I've seen this at my neighborhoods waterpark, very soft under your feet. It seemed to me it would be hard to keep clean given all the crevises between the the little pieces of rubber. This was not located on the coping or deck but in the beach enterance to one of the pools. Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the waterpark. The first pic if you look to the right you will see the beach entrance with rubber entry way.

//www.shadowcreekranch.net/recreation/cv_diamond.html

If this is the same, it looks like what is a generally professionally installed product on commercial playgrounds to create ADA compliant surfaces. The base is typically poured concrete or asphalt (solid surface). Actually one website is http://surfaceamerica.com and the product is called EverTop that they recommend for water areas. Sounds identical to your link which is the DIY marketed version. I've been on such playgrounds and the surface is awesome looking and feeling. I'm conflicted on the appearance around a pool (in the bright colors anyway) but the ones they show on your link look pretty nice. Probably a devil to repair/match if ever needed but hopefully it isn't required. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes! Pricing would be interesting to know. I think you could feather down the edges to alleviate a sharp edge if you have a surface level with the coping already.

Ha, the website for surfaceamerica.com says the rubber surface will get hot and recommends that children wear shoes when on the rubber surface. That should be convenient around a pool! But seriously it can't be hotter than our concrete which we just get wet or find shade.

As a side note, we did invest in some recycled rubber years ago for under our playground. It was a rubber mulch (applied 4" thick) then covered by 4' x 4' x 1 1/2" thick rubber mats (each VERY heavy). Not for a pool area appearance wise with those but I can appreciate the rubber interest. These were recycled tires (and tennis shoes) while I believe the product shown is a mix of virgin and recycled materials.

As a follow-up, the warranty on the SA site is 7 or 10 years in a commercial application which speaks to the durability. And many of their installers are in the northern tier of the US on the cold weather question. Seems like neither would be an issue. The biggest question mark may be the integrity of your existing surface - and cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.