Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Baking Soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Baking Soda

In the 2009 NSPF Pool & Spa Operator Handbook it states "Sodium bicarbonate should not be used to raise pH on a regular basis. The correct method is to use sodium bicarbonate to achieve the desired total alkalinity and then if further correction is necessary, use soda ash."

I had never heard that until reading it in this book. It doesn't exactly state why as far as I can tell. Is there any truth to the statement?

EDIT: Never mind -- I misread this and thought it was referring to using baking soda to raise alkalinity, not PH. Please delete.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Baking Soda

I would disagree with their statement. I think that targeting a specific TA is counterproductive. I have found that I can completely control pH simply by tuning the TA until the pH locks into the desired range.

3. Back To Top    #3

James, what you said and what they said are not-inconsistent. Sure, the emphasis is a little different, but it isn't hard to read their statement your way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I can see where it's similar. I was thinking about how some people try to set an arbitrary TA without understanding its effect on pH. I never use pH increaser, but I can see where it could be a good choice in some cases.

5. Back To Top    #5

My tap water has a TA of 40, so it was necessary for me to bring it up to a more acceptable level for new plaster.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump