Utterly confused

Jul 26, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I've tried reading the forums, and even looked at the pool calculator, but each seems to be missing a step.
I jus set up an Intex hot tub, filled it with water, added 1 oz of sodium bromide, then added a few bromide tablets to the floater. In the time it took us to get dressed for the spa the water turned green. Why?

How much Clorox do I add to shock the spa and kill the green (the spa holds 210 gallons and is at 101 degrees right now). Or is this normal? My gut says no.
I have test strips to use eventually, but it seems pointless right now.

Can someone help?

Was this a clear transparent green? Clear transparent green water shortly after adding an oxidizer (bromide tablets) is almost always caused by either iron or copper in the water. Copper is remarkably unlikely on a fresh fill, so I would expect it to be iron. Either way, adding a little sequestrant should clear it up.

Now if turned a cloudy/murky green, then I am mystified.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.