Is GL-235 compatible with Pentair VS Intelliflo pump?

jayjayaz

Oct 25, 2012
Southern CA
Please assist,

I'm currently seeking estimates to replace old 1 HP pump with a Pentair VS Intelliflo 011018 pump. One pool professional is requiring that I purchase a SolarTouch® Solar Control System to replace my two-year old GL-235. I currently also have an old rotary dial timer and helicol solar system. I'm satisfied with the GL-235 and would like to keep it if it's compatible with the new Pentair VS Intellifo pump.

Thank you,

Jay

The GL-235 is not really compatible with the IntelliFlo. You could conceivably use it for simple on off control, but then most of the point of having an IntelliFlo would be wasted.

You can usually figure out the voltage by looking at the circuit breaker for the pump. If it has two switches connected by a bar it is 230 volt, while a single switch usually means 115 volts.

Thanks for advice, turns out I have 230 volt. I'm hoping I have some other options available, besides spending another $750 for the Solar Touch Solar Control System to accompany the Pentair inteliflo VS. Along with plea for help, I'll best provide everyone with additional info. I live in San Diego with high electricity charges and want a more efficient and quieter pump, as it sits beside the house close to the pool. I have a 12,000 gal pool, 350sqft helicol solar system, and sta-rite 135TX filter. San Diego offers a $200 rebate on VS pumps and the Pentair intelifol VS claims to be the quietest.

Thanks,
Jay

If you don't have a spa, the Pentair SuperFlo VS may be a better choice. It has four control inputs that each trigger a distinct speed. That will allow your existing controller trigger an appropriate solar speed. While you can also connect a regular timer to another input which will run some other speed for circulation when the solar system is not active. The maximum water flow is a lot lower than for the IntelliFlo, but that is probably appropriate for your pool. I'm not certain, but it is likely to be on your rebate list as well.

I like your suggestion, but most regrettably the Pentair SuperFlo VS isn't eligible for the $200. rebate in San Diego and I wonder if it's as quiet as other VS pumps. I'm not married to the idea of purchasing a Pentair inteliflo VS and I'm open to all suggestions at this point, please weigh-in...................

Below is a list of eligible pumps for a rebate the SDG&E website:

Manufacturer HP Description Model
Hayward 2 TriStar - 2.7 THP SP322063EEV
Hayward 2 TriStar - Stand-alone Variable Speed Drive SP3220VSC
Hayward 2 TriStar - Variable Speed Drive to connct to Hayward controls SP3220VSAQL
Hayward 2 EcoStar Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSP
Hayward 2 EcoStar SVRS Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSPVR
Hybrid Pumps LLC 2 Hemi X2
Hybrid Pumps LLC 2 Hemi X3
Pentair up to 3 IntelliFlo VF 11012
Pentair up to 3 IntelliFlo VS + SVRS 11017
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VS 11018
Pentair up to 3 IntelliFlo VS-3050* 11013
Sta-Rite up to 3 IntelliPro VS-3050* P6E6Y4H-209L
Sta-Rite up to 3 IntelliPro VS + SVRS P6E6XS4H-209L
Jandy 1.5 ePump JEP1.5
Jandy 2 ePump

Is GL-235 compatible with any VS pumps?

Topics merged. Please keep everything relating to one question/project/problem together in one place. Thanks JasonLion

Please assist,

I'm currently seeking estimates to replace old 1 HP pump with ideally a Pentair VS Intelliflo 011018 pump. Unfortunately I just learned I would need to purchase a SolarTouch® Solar Control System to replace my two-year old GL-235. I currently also have an old rotary dial timer and helicol solar system. No spa or other water features. I'm satisfied with the GL-235 and would like to keep it if there's a compatible VS pump.

I have 230 volt. I'm hoping I have some other options available, besides spending another $750 for the Solar Touch Solar Control System to accompany the Pentair inteliflo VS. Along with plea for help, I'll best provide everyone with additional info. I live in San Diego with high electricity charges and want a more efficient and quieter pump, as it sits beside the house close to the pool. I have a 12,000 gal pool, 350sqft helicol solar system, and sta-rite 135TX filter. San Diego offers a $200 rebate on VS pumps and the Pentair intelifol VS claims to be the quietest.

Thank you,
Jay

Solar Control Question IntelliCom 2 Interface Adapter integate with GL-235?

Thank you for earlier assistance with researching options to have a Pentair VS 3 HP integrate with existing GL235 Solar Controller. Has anyone overcame this obstacle without purchasing the expensive Pentair 520819 SunTouch Pool and Spa Solar Control System? I read the
Pentair 521109 IntelliCom 2 Interface Adapter is an inexpensive viable option.

I appreciate your valued input and guidance

Jay
San Diego

Re: Solar Control Question IntelliCom 2 Interface Adapter integate with GL-235?

I don't know anything about a gl235, but I am very happy with my pentair solar touch and vs3hp pump. I think the solar touch was about 260 bucks. Quite a bit cheaper than the suntouch if you can't make the gl235 work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

An IntelliCom 2 can be used to give you a simple form of control over the pump speed. If you have an external timer and the version of the GL-235 that includes the pump relay, given an IntelliCom 2 you could get two speeds, one of which was only used when solar was on, and the other the rest of the time. Note that using the IntelliCom 2 disables the internal timer in the IntelliFlo.

As I mentioned elsewhere, you would likely be much better off with a SuperFlo VS, it will cost significantly less and be simpler to setup.

I appreciate the solid advice, does anyone know if the SuperFlo VS is as quiet as the Inteliflo VS?

Thanks again,
Jay

An IntelliCom 2 can be used to give you a simple form of control over the pump speed. If you have an external timer and the version of the GL-235 that includes the pump relay, given an IntelliCom 2 you could get two speeds, one of which was only used when solar was on, and the other the rest of the time. Note that using the IntelliCom 2 disables the internal timer in the IntelliFlo.

As I mentioned elsewhere, you would likely be much better off with a SuperFlo VS, it will cost significantly less and be simpler to setup.

The noise of a pump has more to do with it's age, RPM and flow rate than it does it's brand or model. The reason VS pump's in general can be very quite is because the RPM and flow rates can be reduced which reduces noise considerably. On full speed, they are no quieter than a single speed pump of similar flow rates and RPM. So yes a Superflo VS is just as quiet as the Intelliflo. Also, the number one reason pumps become noisy is because the bearings fail and make a lot of noise.

Also, I would check with the power company rebate center because the SuperFlo is on the list of Energy Star pumps so it could be they just have not updated their web site.

https://data.energystar.gov/Active-Specifications/ENERGY-STAR-Certified-Pool-Pumps/2ppn-v3hp?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.