Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to keep up with filtration

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to keep up with filtration

Hi All,

I have posted previously regarding a pool which constantly has a green looking shade to the water.
    It was been determined that pollen from my nearby (overhanging) Gum tree is the cause of my water colour problems.

If I add some water clarifying liquid (Polysheen Plus by Bioguard) and run the filter for 24 hours the pool clears up very well and looks good. The problem is that I'm constantly having to clean my cartridge and run the pump for excessively long periods to keep the pool water clear.

My pool has the Vantage in floor cleaning system with it's own independent pump.

I was wondering if I added a cartridge filter to the in floor cleaning system if it would help keep the water looking better. has anyone done this before?

I currently run the filter and SWG@50% for 8 hours a day and the water still seems to have problems staying clear.

My thoughts are to add a cartridge filter to the in floor cleaning circuit and then run both pumps for around 4-6 hours a day together with the SWG turned up to say 75%.

any handy tips or a different approach would be greatly appreciated.
    50,000 L Fiberglass in ground pool
    SWG
    Cartridge filter + Vantage in floor cleaner
    Not actually a yabby farm, just what it will be if I keep having to spend as much money as I have been to keep it looking good.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to keep up with filtration

Does the pollen tend to float on the surface for a time? If so improving the in-floor cleaning system is not going to make a significant difference. The key to handling floating debris is to have a good circulation pattern that carries debris to the skimmer, and to run the pump for several short periods spread across the day, so you clear surface debris as quickly as possible before it sinks to the bottom.

Also, could you post a full set of water test results? Many of the questions you ask come down to chemistry issues, which are impossible to answer without knowing the water chemistry.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The particles seem to sink fairly quickly.
    When I turn on the cleaning jets all the fine particles become suspended and I can catch a fair amount with the hand skimmer.
    I also have a solar blanket over the pool when not in use during the day (almost all the time), but I still manage to find plenty of dirt and pollen in the water.

My water is currently balanced at
    FC=7
    CC=0
    Ph=7.6
    TA=65
    CH=350
    CYA=70
    SWG
    Not actually a yabby farm, just what it will be if I keep having to spend as much money as I have been to keep it looking good.

4. Back To Top    #4

I second that motion: work on surface flow to the skimmer. And if you stretch a nylon or skimmer sock across the skimmer basket, it will stop a lot of that stuff from clogging the filter. Pictures
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

This is a link to the tree that is causing most of the pollen

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201308/...9_14486185.jpg

The pool is full of fine strands that clump in fine mounds on the pool floor only to become a cloud if disturbed.

Thanks for the sock idea, I'll give it a go
    SWG