Caribbean Viking pool (16W x 40L) build in New Jersey

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP community,
In March/April timeframe, of 2015, I will be having a Caribbean Viking fiberglass pool built in my backyard. Initially, I will not have water features but will plumb for future water falls just in case. Just wanted to get your opinions and tap into your expertise on if what my builder and I are planning to do seems like an over-kill, just right, or lacking.

Pool and Equipment:
The Pool:
Caribbean Viking pool (16 x 40)
Depth: from 3’-6” to 6’-6”
Gallons: 17,000 gallons
Water surface area: 468 sq.ft.
Perimeter: 96ft.

The filter:
Pro-grid DE filter 48 sq.ft.
Multiport valve (I have no idea which one to get of the following???)
- Selecta-Flo™ Valve 2” SKT: (SP0740DE)
- Vari-Flo™ Valve 1 ½” NPT: (SP0710XR50)
- Vari-Flo™ Valve 2” NPT: (SP0715XR50)
- Slide Valve 2” SKT: (33 SP0410X5025)

Separation tank: (C9002SEP) - to hold the spent DE material when backwashing

The Pump:
Hayward Ecostar
Speed range: 600-3450 RPM

Lights:
PAL Lighting (http://pallightingusa.com/)
LED's: Three TREO 2T4 LED's (42-2T454LAU)
Driver: PCR-4U Receiver / Driver with PCT-1 hand held transmitter & fitted w/- PCW-1 Wi-Fi (42-PCR-4UW)
Perimeter lighting: 96 feet roll of PAL-LED Optic RGB flexible extruded IP68 strip Light fitted with 79' of supply cable and a wall fitting (42-PLO-P-RGB)
Driver: PCR-200 Receiver/Driver with PCT-1 hand held transmitter & fitted with PCW-1 Wi-Fi module (42-PCR-200UW)
Junction box: (57-330-5027)<--- do i need this??? :scratch:

SWG and Automation: (this is where I am a little confused)
I will either go with the Omnilogic or the Prologic from Hayward.
Prologic:
Main unit (PL-P-4)
Plumbing kit (P-kit)
Salt generator (T-cell 15)
Home Networking (Homenet)
PH,ORP,SENSE,ORP DISPENSE (Aql-Chem)
MURIATIC ACID FEED SYSTEM (Aql-Chem3)
Remote wireless base (RF base)

Omnilogic:
Main unit (HLbase)
Dual Protocol Sense and Dispense (HLchem)
Salt generator (T-cell 15)
Plumbing kit (P-kit)
Home Network Device (HLhomenet)
MURIATIC ACID FEED SYSTEM (AQLchem3)

Cleaner:
AquaNaut 400

Did I miss anything? Am I on the right track? Am I over-killing this pool build?
Comments, concerns, criticism, thoughts, recommendations, ...etc, would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thx in advance! :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!
I can offer a few comments:
- regarding the valves, a multiport is better than a slide valve, and larger pipe is better than smaller. Seems that threaded connections would be better, so I'd get the third one (2" NPT)
- you probably need the junction box...can't remember why though :(
- ORP controllers tend to be more trouble then they are worth. If you can get the pH sensor and dispenser without the ORP stuff, you'd be better off. Just programming the SWG on time is generally more than good enough.

Best of luck!

Welcome to TFP!
I can offer a few comments:
- regarding the valves, a multiport is better than a slide valve, and larger pipe is better than smaller. Seems that threaded connections would be better, so I'd get the third one (2" NPT)
- you probably need the junction box...can't remember why though :(
- ORP controllers tend to be more trouble then they are worth. If you can get the pH sensor and dispenser without the ORP stuff, you'd be better off. Just programming the SWG on time is generally more than good enough.

Best of luck!

Thanks!! I appreciate the tips. This is all new to me and obviously I have a lot to learn in a very short time.

But with regards to the ORP stuff, if you don't recommend using it, then what would I do to control the PH if it gets out of specs?? Also, is there something else on the lines of PH automation you would recommend?

Thx 4 all your help in advance.

Do you want all that automation...or are you perfectly fine doing a few tests and chemical additions on your own when the time arises? To *me*, the more automation there is the more it costs and has potential to fail.

You could save a lot of money with less do-dads, the testing is easy (something you'll probably be doing anyway) and with a SWG you're really not adding a lot into the water very often.

Thank you for your response, YippeeSkippy.
Honestly, I don't know if automation would help cut-down on the maintenance vs. play-time. I'm under the impression it would. But after reading all these excellent posts and responses on TFP, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what, I'm going to be testing and supplementing with chemicals. So basically, it seems that the balancing/maintenance aspect of the Prologic automation helps but just a little and is not a substitute.

However, on the other hand, I am looking to automate (with macros) the pool lighting, landscape lighting, possibly an outdoor audio system, water feature, etc... and that's where the Prologic (automation) may fit the bill. Thoughts???
Thanks for everyones input!! :lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.