Leak in my heat exchanger!

jb_sfl

Jan 5, 2015
Wellington, FL
The idiots screwed the L brackets that hold the heater to the concrete pad, right through the casing and the heat echanger slid over during time, and put a pencil tip sized hole right in the heat exchanger!!! Company that installed wants $1800 to fix it. I had to ask them, even though I don't want them touching it after screwing sheet metal screws through the casing which punctured the existing one. I tried patching with putty and fiberglass wrap but still a drip.

I can't see what BTU the current heater is, I think it all wore off the stickers.

I have a
7 foot spa diameter about 3.5 feet deep.
Pool is about 12000 Gallons.

I have all Jandy, and I have seen horrible reviews on the Jandy heaters.

I would like something more more efficient of course, so maybe I could afford the electric on heating the pool to 80 or so during the winter.

Looking for suggestions on:
BTU Heater to get (Need Electric, have no gas)
Heater Model to Get
Can I install myself? Looks pretty easy, I was an ET in the Navy so any wiring doesn't scare me. I can get it from the front to the back with a dolly no problem, all flat.

Thanks!

Hello,
You'll want a heat pump heater the bigger the better (depends on what you can afford). I inherited a Heat Siphon when I bought the house. They seem pretty durable/easy to maintain. I like the fact that it's all analog.
They all seem to cost the same/ballpark pricing. http://www.heatsiphon.com/index.html
This post list a site that compare pricing with the different heaters: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...entral-Florida?p=751969&viewfull=1#post751969

Any heater will need the pump running to circulate the water.

Do you know the make and model of the heater. It may be easier to get a new heat exhanger online and install yourself. You should be able to look up the manual for the heater as well to see what is needed to replace it.

It is a Rome Industries 130Ti. It looked like there was a refrigerant line going into it so I didn't think I could install that piece of it, figured need to evacuate the refrigerant or something then charge it again.

Hello,
You'll want a heat pump heater the bigger the better (depends on what you can afford). I inherited a Heat Siphon when I bought the house. They seem pretty durable/easy to maintain. I like the fact that it's all analog.
They all seem to cost the same/ballpark pricing. http://www.heatsiphon.com/index.html
This post list a site that compare pricing with the different heaters: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...entral-Florida?p=751969&viewfull=1#post751969

Any heater will need the pump running to circulate the water.

Yeah I have the pump and everything setup, just put a new Jandy 1.0HP vaiable speed in.

So the bigger the better, sounds like my logic as well, will bigger also be more energy efficient? I guess it is a case by case basis, just wondering if more BTU's will make my energy lower cost saying run the same amount of time at same temp. Like a vette actually gets good gas mileage when you are not flooring it all the time.

Heat Exchanger Leak.jpg

I don't know if you will be able to see this, but I drew an arrow to the pin hole leak (more likie pencil lead size leak) and a circle around one of the sheet metal screws, you can't see the one that poked a hole in it, but they are all down the side.

Warning people I would make sure you don't have screws near your heat exchanger, I put a little 1X1 to keep mine away from the screws so I don't get any more holes.

Have you tried using any JB weld?
http://www.jbweld.com/

No I did not try that, now that is more up my alley I really think I should be able to fix this thing. I used something ilke this Pow-R Wrap, except I didnt see where it said only up to 1" pipes on the one I got at Home Depot but that could be a good reason for it not working.

Maybe I will take that wrap off hopefully withouth putting another hole in the thing. I had a fiberglass cast I cut off my arms when younger (ahh the good old days) so I should be able to get it off.

I was also thinking of trying to find a small piece of plastiv to jam in the hole first. I will try the JB weld if I can get this thing off.

Pow-R Wrap is a strong, permanent and economical repair. Works on virtually every kind of pipe and hose. It's an easy alternative to traditional methods such as cementing, soldering, welding, sleeving and replacement. It works on wet, dry, clean, dirty or corroded pipes and even underwater, salt or fresh.
Water activated fiberglass wrap
Holds up to 600 psi
Works on wet, dirty or corroded surfaces
Safe for drinking water system repairs

THANKS!

Ok so that fiberglass wrap seemed to stop the leak, maybe it didn't set well. NOW there is another hole, I tried getting in there with JBWeld, I got the hole and let it sit a day, no dice still leaking.

Next I cut a piece of extra garden host, put jb weld on it, and had one of those circular pipe clamps and I just can't get my hands in there to get it tight.

I think I am going to cut my losses here and start looking at a new one. If I fix this for yet another leak, I may wind up putting some holes in this heater myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes sucks.

So I am going to go with a new 5 Ton Hayward heat pump, has a great warranty and having it installed by a certified contractor, so I don't screw up my warranty. My neighbors have all Hayward and have had no issues with it, and I have heard some other good things about them too.

Thanks everyone!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.