New year, brutal weather.... here is the aftermath

tjroux

Sep 1, 2012
Gardiner, ME
We had some very strange weather here in Maine this year...... Long story short warm cold warm cold warm cold lots of snow, warm then immediately cold.
Wife sent me a picture yesterday with the center of the pool cover near the bottom.... which was about where my heart was.

Called my pool guy, cut the line around my pool for the pool cover. We are now at the mercy of the weather until spring thaw. My best guess is with this last "thaw" we had a few inches of water between the pool wall/floor and the ice mass in the pool... the weight was too much, displaced the water that was acting as a barrier and a sharp piece of ice punctured the liner in the area near where the water was coming out of. Im going to contact the liner company to attempt a warranty coverage ( doubt that will work ) more than likely:
300$ for liner
50-100$ for small pool floor repair ( sand, possibly have pool guy come check rest of pool )
150-300$ in water
All of this assuming after the thaw a stiff breeze doesnt come around and blow my pool in. YAY!
There is almost 2 ft of ice at the top and 6 at the bottom all the way around the pool on the inside under the cover, what you see below is just stuff that was ontop of the cover.

10801669_938538806165258_6633506794529148349_n.jpg

10926397_938538796165259_4984184001951588297_n.jpg

Ouch!

Liner warranties are usually limited to seam failures, so you probably won't have much luck. Probably could be claimed on insurance if you want to go that route.

I thought it was mostly loss to evaporation end of last summer/fall... it could have been a small pin hole that was greatly increased due to ice.... all depends where I find the hole or the start of the hole... if it's on the seam it's on them in my opinion. I can be very convincing ;-)

Good luck keeping the pool up in high winds with no water. If you end up losing all the water, you need to figure out how to brace the inside walls to replicate the outward pressure that the water creates.

I had something similar to this happen to mine last spring. Lost all of the water and then the cover caved in. It was still too cold out to replace the liner and for quite a while I had a large ring of ice in the pool to stabilize it. Once that started to melt, I needed to secure the pool so the wind would not mess with it. I took a spool of 1/4" rope I had and tied all if the posts together forming a spiderweb like grid over the pool surface. I then used 3 "dog run" anchors (the screw in type) I had and secured the pool to the ground with ratchet straps to prevent it from lifting. Using both of these allowed the pool so withstand 50+ MPH winds one weekend.

I had something similar to this happen to mine last spring. Lost all of the water and then the cover caved in. It was still too cold out to replace the liner and for quite a while I had a large ring of ice in the pool to stabilize it. Once that started to melt, I needed to secure the pool so the wind would not mess with it. I took a spool of 1/4" rope I had and tied all if the posts together forming a spiderweb like grid over the pool surface. I then used 3 "dog run" anchors (the screw in type) I had and secured the pool to the ground with ratchet straps to prevent it from lifting. Using both of these allowed the pool so withstand 50+ MPH winds one weekend.

Im thinking something along these lines will help!!!! Good idea :)

I pasted a link to the thread I started earlier this year below on the similar problem I had. You are not the only one to ever have this problem and won't be the last. Just remember, nobody got hurt so it is just a little inconvenience. I thought I had a picture of the web I put over it when I heard the high winds were coming one weekend, but I did not post it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-stole-my-water!!!!!!!!!!?p=612176#post612176

Last edited:
Sorry to see this.

When I was a kid (probably in the 3rd grade) back in the early 80s, my parents had a circular above-ground pool. We had some crazy freeze/thaw cycles one January. The whole neighborhood was awoken by a large metallic ripping noise followed by the glub-glub-glub sound of draining water. When the sun came up the next morning, the pool was a horseshoe-shaped empty shell and the lot next door was an ice skating rink. The shell completely failed and dumped the entire volume of water in about 30 seconds. Needless to say, the pool was a complete loss. Hopefully your recovery is quicker and cheaper than what we had.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Side note, some ice formed where some of the water leaked out and I went down like a sac of potatoes and slammed my bad kneed off the ice. GAHHHH!

Now you know where the leak is.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Swimline called me today. They will cover 70% of the liner. My total our of pocket cost will be 87.30 for the new liner. I opted to upgrade to the thickest liner they offer vs the 20mil for an additional 60$.

Any thoughts on the thicker liner??? Going to order it probably tomorrow.

I think they are better. My brother bought a 20gauge in 2011 n he's replacing it this year due to failure. I found him a new liner at 25-gauge but have no clue which one he chose. I know it wasn't a 20. Always good to upgrade. :goodjob: Good luck... Are you installing yourself? They are heavy! Watched a UPS driver carry one up my old driveway instead of driving the truck up. He said, man that thing is heavy! lol

I think im going to call in my pool builder to help me "evaluate" the damage and have him bring some of the same dirt we used on the rest of the pool. Might be worth the 100 or so bucks for him to come out. If the damaged sand area is not huge I'll hand pound the sand down and have him level her out. I dont want to have to do this again.

Also I'll sleep better at night knowing he looked it at and was done correctly. As far as installing the liner I am confident in doing it myself after working with our pool builder last time.

What really stinks? I have to pay a **** water truck to come out again!!!!!

The repair on the pool sand floor was solid... i even leveled out some high spots we had previously and a few low spots ( remembered where they all were )

Hopefully we dont have any more brutally cold maine winters, with a thaw for a week, then 3 months of sub zero temps. BURRR!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.