New Pool Owner

Jan 1, 2015
Seneca SC
Hello All:

I am a new pool owner due to purchasing a home with a pool that was left for naught for about 3 months. When I viewed the home prior to purchasing the pool was pristine so I know it is possible.

I am in need of helpful advise on how I can get my pool back to its original state. Currently I am at:

Foggy, light green water. Small amounts of algae or small dirt fragments in pool.

Current tests exceed what my kit permits. BR above 6.5 CL above 3.0 and PH above 8.2. However before I started shocking the pool I did have BR at 3.5, CL at 1.5, and PH at 7.8 but the water was Black/Brown. I will purchase a better test kit but that is what I have now.

I have removed all leaves and shocked the pool 3 times in 2 weeks using Calcium Hypochlorite, 7-1lb bags 1st treatment and 5-1lb bags two more times to get it where it is today.

I have vacuumed the pool 4 times in the last 2 weeks, suppose I will do it daily till I see results. I have put 2-3 inch tablets in the skimmer after shocking 3 times.

Any suggestions would be helpful since I do want to swim in my pool one day.

You will need a better test kit. Specifically you will need to know CYA (cyanuric acid). What is BR? Bromine? Do you know if it is a Bromine pool? If I recall correctly, using test strips, chlorine may be giving you a false reading as Bromine.