Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pop-up Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Pop-up Cleaner

I bought a home with a pool that was inoperable; so I had it replastered and bought all new equipment. The pool is now up and running, and is fantastic! However, one of the few remaining items for me to figure out has to do with an apparent pop-up cleaner that I have on the landing of my pool.

When the pool was re-plastered, the put an eyeball in where the pop-up cleaner goes Needless to say, I figured that wasn't the right "fitting" for that hole. I've been told that what I need to put there is a pop-up cleaner that cleans off the big step landing in the pool. That being said - I can't figure out how a pop-up cleaner works. I've never been able to feel any water coming out of there; when the pump is on, and returning to the pool, or when the cleaner is on (I run a sideport cleaner). Is this normal? How do the pop-up cleaners work?

Thanks!
    14,000 Gallon In-Ground Quartz Plaster
    Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump with 420 SqFt Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair MasterTemp Heater with Zodiac Blower for Spa, Poolverneugen Automatic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pop-up Cleaner

By any chance is it an umbrella holder? Can you post a picture of the fitting, and can you post a picture of your plumbing setup?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry for taking so long to respond; but here's a picture of my pump/filter/heater setup, and a picture of the hole where I'm assuming the pop-up cleaner goes. Notice that there's an eyeball in there . . . I haven't bothered taking it out yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the pics
    Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump with 420 SqFt Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair MasterTemp Heater with Zodiac Blower for Spa, Poolverneugen Automatic Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

There are no pictures.

Try to follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Still not showing up
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

2015-02-09 15.53.37.jpg
    2015-02-09 15.54.13.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There we go - now they're posted. My apologies!!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My bet is that bobo got it right. That looks like an umbrella sleeve. Pull the fitting out and probe around. I think you will find that it's just a sleeve with no plumbing to it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Given it's location, that there is only one, and I see no evidence of a head unit in your pic, I'm 100% sure you've got yourself an umbrella sleeve.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am not sure I would go 100% that it is an umbrella sleeve ... maybe 95%. It is possible it could be a bubbler jet in that location as well.

What does that small pipe with the closed ball valve do that is in front of the filter? That could be for a bubbler, or it could be a bypass to feed a little water to the spa to keep it chlorinated.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

A bubbler jet. Of course it could be. *Newman!*
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

11. Back To Top    #11

The small pipe with the ball valve coming off of the return line runs to an in-deck chlorinator.

No water has ever come out of that "hole" on the landing . . . BUT, I have never checked it when I have the chlorinator turned on . . . I'll make sure to do that. Otherwise, I'll take the fitting out and feel around.

Thanks everyone!

12. Back To Top    #12

A bubbler, or small fountain would be cool. Keep us updated. Can you take a closer/overhead picture of the fitting? I'm still leaning towards an umbrella holder.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida