Main Drain Question

Jan 20, 2015
Las Vegas
Hello All! I'm new a new pool owner, and a new member of the forum. I'm excited to be a part of the community!

I've done a pretty decent job learning how my pool works, how to treat the water, and basic maintenance, etc. However I am curious as to how my main drain is connected to my pump.

Of course, in the skimmer, there are two holes at the bottom. One of them is directly pulling water from the surface of the pool; but the other hole appears to be leading to the main drains at the bottom of the pool. Is this a normal configuration? It would seem to me that the main drain should need to be directly hooked into the suction line, rather than feeding into the skimmer like it is. I have a sideport automatic suction cleaner that I run when needed; but it's just unnerving to me that the drains at the bottom of the pool aren't directly hooked into the suction from the pump.

Is this configuration the norm?

Welcome to TFP!

The setup you describe is common enough, though it is far from idea.

There is a special fitting that you can get that goes in the skimmer which allows you to force some of the pump suction to draw from the main drain.

Welcome! :wave:

Yes, your configuration is normal. What you're missing is a diverter. Here's a couple pictures of what they could look like:

lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg
joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

The spaceship one has a float inside, so if the water in the skimmer gets too low, it blocks the openings to the skimmer and draws only from the drain. Otherwise, there's a flap underneath that you move to regulate the flow from full skimmer to full drain or somewhere in between. I find it useful to have some suction through the main drain because it eliminates a lot of the temperature stratification.

Look around and see if there isn't something like that floating around in the shed left behind by the previous owner. Or measure your skimmer well and go visit a pool store and see if they have a universal one that will fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.