Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain Question

Hello All! I'm new a new pool owner, and a new member of the forum. I'm excited to be a part of the community!

I've done a pretty decent job learning how my pool works, how to treat the water, and basic maintenance, etc. However I am curious as to how my main drain is connected to my pump.

Of course, in the skimmer, there are two holes at the bottom. One of them is directly pulling water from the surface of the pool; but the other hole appears to be leading to the main drains at the bottom of the pool. Is this a normal configuration? It would seem to me that the main drain should need to be directly hooked into the suction line, rather than feeding into the skimmer like it is. I have a sideport automatic suction cleaner that I run when needed; but it's just unnerving to me that the drains at the bottom of the pool aren't directly hooked into the suction from the pump.

Is this configuration the norm?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain Question

Welcome to TFP!

The setup you describe is common enough, though it is far from idea.

There is a special fitting that you can get that goes in the skimmer which allows you to force some of the pump suction to draw from the main drain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Yes, your configuration is normal. What you're missing is a diverter. Here's a couple pictures of what they could look like:

The spaceship one has a float inside, so if the water in the skimmer gets too low, it blocks the openings to the skimmer and draws only from the drain. Otherwise, there's a flap underneath that you move to regulate the flow from full skimmer to full drain or somewhere in between. I find it useful to have some suction through the main drain because it eliminates a lot of the temperature stratification.

Look around and see if there isn't something like that floating around in the shed left behind by the previous owner. Or measure your skimmer well and go visit a pool store and see if they have a universal one that will fit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your time here. You've goten some good answers so I can add much. Enjoy your time on TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! Thanks for the responses. Yes - I will definitely purchase a diverter. Thank you for your help!
    14,000 Gallon In-Ground Quartz Plaster
    Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump with 420 SqFt Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair MasterTemp Heater with Zodiac Blower for Spa, Poolverneugen Automatic Cleaner