Another from Downunder with a blow up!

Just joined up after finding some similar people around the forum.

I probably don't really fit in here as I have a Bestway Fast Set 10' on quite uneven ground, propped up by sand bags on the deep end and have opted for the chlorine free alternative to start with. I upgraded the terrible pump that came with it to an Intex 2200L pump.

Fire away!

Welcome,

If you want to learn about pool care, then you belong here. I don't know which alternative you speak of, but it's your pool to do with as you wish. If it doesn't work out for you, we can teach you how to fix it and have a nice, Trouble free pool.

Enjoy the forum! :goodjob:

Welcome,

If you want to learn about pool care, then you belong here. I don't know which alternative you speak of, but it's your pool to do with as you wish. If it doesn't work out for you, we can teach you how to fix it and have a nice, Trouble free pool.

Enjoy the forum! :goodjob:

Thanks mate. Previous house in Perth had a sparkling inground pool but moved to Queensland and in a rental now and with the recent temps and humidity some sort of water relief was needed.

The thing has already cost me with a decent amount of sunburn whilst setting it up. Youch! On antihistamine and beer to prevent the itching!

Hi MegaWatty,
Welcome to TFP!

If you want to learn a lot about pool care, you have found the right place regardless of what type of pool you have.

Shriker,
there really isnt one, although some systems such as ozone and mineral based make claim to it. At the end of the day, the science of those alternatives cant effectively live up to what their claims are.

Polyhexanide (or PHMB) is the active ingredient in what we often refer to as baqua. It is an approved sanitizer in the US, but has a number of very serious problems which lead to us strongly recommending against it. Compared to chlorine, it is much more expensive, somewhat more trouble prone, and tends to stop working after a year or two.

Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, which we refer to as MPS, is an effective oxidizer, but not a sanitizer.

Chlorine is both a sanitizer and an oxidizer. The baqua system uses two different chemicals for those two roles.

I'm not quite sure what Cationic Polyelectrolyte is, but I suspect it is probably a clarifier (or maybe an algaecide).

Annoyingly, once you start using baqua you have a fairly major conversion process to go through to convert to using chlorine.

Polyhexanide (or PHMB) is the active ingredient in what we often refer to as baqua. It is an approved sanitizer in the US, but has a number of very serious problems which lead to us strongly recommending against it. Compared to chlorine, it is much more expensive, somewhat more trouble prone, and tends to stop working after a year or two.

Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, which we refer to as MPS, is an effective oxidizer, but not a sanitizer.

Chlorine is both a sanitizer and an oxidizer. The baqua system uses two different chemicals for those two roles.

I'm not quite sure what Cationic Polyelectrolyte is, but I suspect it is probably a clarifier (or maybe an algaecide).

Annoyingly, once you start using baqua you have a fairly major conversion process to go through to convert to using chlorine.

Amazing knowledge. And you're right, the third is an algaecide. I figure that where I'm currently living, I'm not overly keen on working chlorine and its only a temporary $55 pool that holds around 3500 litres of water.

I'm looking at moving in around 6 months and will look to do it properly with a more permanent solution. Same theory with it being on sloping ground. If it busts then it's only a $55 pool to relieve some of the Queensland heat.

Of course it just started raining as soon as I got it all set up.

I know I am doing a lot of things that this site is against but I swear I'll get better. ;)

Just being honest, and I promise this isnt a rally cry for Chlorine, but your situation makes an even bigger argument for using it. It would hardly cost a thing and be so very, very easy in that size of pool.

Honestly, after reading a lot around here, I know that the next time will be with chlorine. I have the kit now and it should last until the end of summer at which point I'll take it down and get reading/asking questions and purchasing everything I need for the next season.

I've already found the site super helpful and friendly and appreciate the feedback. I already have a heap of questions and thankfully don't feel like I'll be flamed like n00bs on so many other forums.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What does "not overly keen on working chlorine" mean? You just don't want to use it, or you have never been around it? Chlorine is just plain ole bleach, nothing more, nothing less. This site, unlike EVERY OTHER SITE I HAVE EVER SEEN, is not about flaming anyone new. Good luck with your baquacil pool this season. I hope it works out for you, and all goes well. Based on some rough math and American bleach prices, I came up with like $.15 worth of chlorine to maintain your pool per day if you switched to chlorine. So, somewhere around $4-5 per month, depending on usage, to maintain a pool with chlorine. That at least gives you an idea what you can fall back on if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does "not overly keen on working chlorine" mean? You just don't want to use it, or you have never been around it? Chlorine is just plain ole bleach, nothing more, nothing less. This site, unlike EVERY OTHER SITE I HAVE EVER SEEN, is not about flaming anyone new. Good luck with your baquacil pool this season. I hope it works out for you, and all goes well. Based on some rough math and American bleach prices, I came up with like $.15 worth of chlorine to maintain your pool per day if you switched to chlorine. So, somewhere around $4-5 per month, depending on usage, to maintain a pool with chlorine. That at least gives you an idea what you can fall back on if you need to.

The chlorine comment was purely based on the fact that I already had the alternative kit. Nothing against it. I had a salt water chlorinated pool when I lived on the other side of the country and live with a swim instructor so you can imagine that I know all about chlorine in heavy doses. :)

Perhaps if I didn't realise how popular these pools were and that I would have it semi permanent this year I'd have check this site out earlier and found out what I needed to earlier. We all live and learn though, right?

Here's how it looks this afternoon:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421818006.108714.jpg

Now why'd you have to go and show us this pic? That's just rubbin' salt in the wounds of us northern hemispherians waiting for warmier and sunnier days to return....

OK, just to show that I can be a good sport: Welcome to the forum. These guys know all there is to know about backyard water.

Thanks for the welcome and feel free to return fire whilst mine is packed away in a tub! :)

You guys are terrible. I'm considering dumping my water and switching to chlorine!

I have to keep telling myself that I have made an 'investment' elsewhere and might as well use it for the next month or two before the pool will get packed away.

A question on cleaning the filter cartridge on a Fast Set/Easy Up pool. How do I open the pump without having water spill everywhere? Should I got to the hardware and buy some taps to install?

You invested in a ford pinto, and then found a corvette dirt cheap. :) Does the pool not have the push-pull type valves at the pool? If not, take the filter out and put the top back on quickly so you don't lose too much water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support