Has anyone on here actually worked at a pool store?

b05b3f41b749b8b3edb941f4a81f8bb2.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts guys. Any idea what this may be? It looks like a circular packing of fiberous material. I found it in the skimmer just now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your pools is several (two? three?) weeks old at this point, the CH of 50 is too low and should be raised. However, do not raise it all the way up just yet. If it is more than a month old, then that is way too low for CH and it should be raised to the recommended range.

From my experience with my new plaster, your CH may continue to rise on it's own for several months. I made the mistake of aiming at the 350ppm upper recommendation for my initial setup (more is better syndrome) and ended up at 500ppm several months after that. Apparently the water continues to dissolve calcium from the new plaster, and that raises the CH quite a bit. I've seen several other posts from people who had the same experience. Suggest aiming for the 250ppm lower limit to start with, and see what happens from there.

Okay. I added 96oz of Calcium Hardness Increaser (from Pinch-A-Penny...looks like Calcium Chloride from the MSDS) which brought the CH up 30 to 80 (broadcast into the deep end with the pump on high and main drain sucking). I added another 32oz just now. I know this isn't near enough, but from your recommendation, I am adding in small amounts so I don't overshoot and I've been reading it may take a little while for it to register/combine completely. I have another 8 lbs bag of it waiting in the garage when I check it in a few days. Out of complete curiosity, I took a water sample to a Pinch-A-Penny (different than previous pool stores) and their measurements were pretty accurate, except CH, which they said I was at 95. Going to trust my results more on this one.

I added 24oz of stabilizer via the sock in the skimmer method. Still nothing registering for that, so I added another 24oz just now. According to pool math, this should put me in the lower range of 30 which is the lower range of the recommended levels. Any idea how long before I should test? I am down to a half bottle of the CYA solution due to all the testing I have been doing and I feel this could wait a week to test as long as FC stays in check. Do you agree?

Current readings:

FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 130
CH: 80
CYA: 0
Water Temp: 67
CSI: -0.71 (up 0.16 from last night's test)

Looks like I am getting back in business. Any ideas on the fibrous packing I found in the skimmer? I have an enclosed pool, so I'm not sure if it's material left from the crew who acid washed and refilled, or something else that I should be concerned about. It's about the same diameter as my LED lights and return jets... :confused:

Sorry not to respond sooner. CYA can take up to a week to fully register on the CYA test. Should be showing up now if not sooner.

I've not seen anything like that fibrous stuff in a pool so I would simply assume it's something left over from somewhere and ignore it.......it's nothing that would be occurring in your pool naturally.

How does your water look?

I know this is probably too late, but i read this thread and wanted to share my experience with the pool store test. I was required by my builder to bring a sample of water in as soon as my pool was filled. They were going to test it and sell me everything i needed to maintain it. If I brought my sample in, they gave you a starter kit of chemicals for free.

I literally filled my pool with my garden hose turned on the pump and dumped half a gallon of 10% in it. I didnt have my test kit yet. I just wanted some chlorine in there until i could figure out what all i needed.
Got a sample the next morning and took it in.

I cant remember the exact results, but i know they said I had a FC of around 3 and a CYA reading of 25-30. And they used test strips.

There is no possible way my tap water had any CYA reading. So as soon as I saw that, i committed myself fully to the ways of this site. So to confirm one of your previous posts....Yes, your tests are WAY more accurate than theirs if theirs were completed in under a minute.

Thanks for sharing your experience Kris. I am keeping good records on the spreadsheet just in case it comes into play in the future. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

The water looks good. The interior looks great. I am happy. Still getting pH swings but less so than before. The last few days have been down to freezing at night and yesterday morning I woke up to the pump being on due to freeze protection...so I now know that feature works too.

Got the auto cleaner hooked up on Thursday and gave them my final payment! Do most of you leave yours hooked up and just change the valve so it's not cleaning or do you take it out and put it back in every week? Just curious as the water is pretty darn chilly right now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.