Solar Pool Heaters

Jan 19, 2015
Webster, NY
Hey everyone,
First post, and thanks in advance for the help!
My wife and I live in upstate NY outside the Rochester area, we have always talked about adding a heater to our 16"x36" in ground pool but found the estimated cost of running a gas unit to be to high.
We are considering installing a solar panel system to our roof which is a 4/12 pitch and south facing, We are looking for suggestions as to which system would be the best, and have concerns about winterizing do to the extreme cold winters.
Again Thank You for your thoughts and Ideas.
Paul

Welcome to TFP!

I have a system that I'm very happy with. Mine are Aquasol panels made by Solar Depot.

The panels are installed with a slight slant, so they self-drain. Winterizing consists of leaving the inlet valve open.

Do you plan on doing a self install, which will save around 50%, or have an installer handle it? There are many high quality panels that will perform and last fine where you are at. I'm guessing a rough estimate is about $5000 to have someone install a quality solar system.

What are you looking to gain with solar heating? Do you plan on using a blanket at night? Heating a pool with out using a blanket is like heating the house with out a roof.
Some good reading at this site: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/EN/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/index.htm

I will be using a solar blanket at night, and do plan on installing the panels myself.
I'm hoping to bring the temp up on the pool to a more comfortable level, our pool rarely gets over 74 degrees.

The pool should do fine with a blanket and panels that face south.

Search solar installations and you should get a good indication of everything that is required for the install. Keep asking questions if you have any doubt.

Add your pool equipment to your signature and it will help us to give you more advice as we see fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.