Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Pool Heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Pool Heaters

Hey everyone,
    First post, and thanks in advance for the help!
    My wife and I live in upstate NY outside the Rochester area, we have always talked about adding a heater to our 16"x36" in ground pool but found the estimated cost of running a gas unit to be to high.
    We are considering installing a solar panel system to our roof which is a 4/12 pitch and south facing, We are looking for suggestions as to which system would be the best, and have concerns about winterizing do to the extreme cold winters.
    Again Thank You for your thoughts and Ideas.
    Paul

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Pool Heaters

Welcome to TFP!

I have a system that I'm very happy with. Mine are Aquasol panels made by Solar Depot.

The panels are installed with a slight slant, so they self-drain. Winterizing consists of leaving the inlet valve open.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you plan on doing a self install, which will save around 50%, or have an installer handle it? There are many high quality panels that will perform and last fine where you are at. I'm guessing a rough estimate is about $5000 to have someone install a quality solar system.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

What are you looking to gain with solar heating? Do you plan on using a blanket at night? Heating a pool with out using a blanket is like heating the house with out a roof.
    Some good reading at this site: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/EN/consumer/...ools/index.htm
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    What are you looking to gain with solar heating? Do you plan on using a blanket at night? Heating a pool with out using a blanket is like heating the house with out a roof.
    Some good reading at this site: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/EN/consumer/...ools/index.htm
    I will be using a solar blanket at night, and do plan on installing the panels myself.
    I'm hoping to bring the temp up on the pool to a more comfortable level, our pool rarely gets over 74 degrees.

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool should do fine with a blanket and panels that face south.

Search solar installations and you should get a good indication of everything that is required for the install. Keep asking questions if you have any doubt.

Add your pool equipment to your signature and it will help us to give you more advice as we see fit.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process