Gratuities

A bonus check is always welcomed....Beer works as well. :cheers:

I've had a few people invite me to the party once everything was done. I've always enjoyed that since there are usually a lot of people with questions/compliments...very rewarding.

Regardless, anything that shows sincere appreciation will be graciously accepted

Its alwYs been my experience that you can't successfully single people out for gratuities. It usually causes resentment for those not included.
Praise is best for a job well done to those who deserve it. Itis always welcome and an incentive to continue to do good work.
That being said, an invitation to a pool party or a nice gesture such as a case of beer that can be shared after a job well done shows gratitude though not everyone drinks. Also you don't want them drinking on your property for legal reasons since presumably they will be driving home.
Use your best judgement.

How about always having a cold ice chest of water / gatorade available to the workers... or if they are a crew that works for the PB directly, throw a few burgers on the grill for them at the end of the job. With most PB's, they use so many sub-contractors that its hard to get to know the people on your jobsite.

This is a topic that should be examined on a case-by-case, contractor-by-contractor basis. If you do not know the vendor well, I suggest providing just cold water and drinks, or coffee/hot chocolate if its 30-45 degrees.

For example, I provided a really nice lunch and an assortment of drinks to one subcontractor. I later told the PB that I asked the sub to perform some more work [Change Order, and I was upfront w all] and based on an initial est of work and materials that exceeded what I really had, that the change order would really not cause any more cost to me.

Later I received an invoice for $2,500 more from the PB. I thought WT"X", there's no way. I asked the PB how he determined that number and it was what the sub sent him. It was for 185 sq ft more than I had asked hiim to do extra. I caught the sub in a total bogus lie and the PB made him come out and measure it. I already had the real numbers bc I had it surveyed. All in all, a $3,350 dollar delta and now a $750 credit to me vs an invoice balance of 2.5K

Bottomline, I was really nice to the sub and he thought I had money to burn, so he jacked-up this job. Both the sub and PB [which has not said anything about the bill at all and now knows that the sub lied] did not manage this well at all. He did say he is going to ck his other jobs too.

When this entire job is over, I am going to write a short book on "Why managing the PB & their subs pays off". If you are not watching out for yourself, no one else will.

tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more note:

The best gratuity you can ever provide is a solid referral that leads to new business, but that has to be earned. That ends up a win win for the contractors that do great work and have integrity...hard to find, but greatly appreciated when you can.

I come from a different perspective about showing gratitude for some and not others. When our pool was built there was one particular jackass (even argued in the parking lot of the store with us until I just had to leave)...and another who was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. She was the PM of the construction phase. She had her sh*t together...always answering questions be it via email or phone quickly. Always staying in communication. More so than the "on site" GC certainly was. Probably the hardest working person at the company by far. We plan on doing something a little special for her and if it means others will have resentment...then so be it. High performers should be rewarded for their work and going above and beyond. ****, I even tipped the electrical crew and irrigation guy. It was around Christmas and they did a phenomenal job! When I did, they were floored. The irrigation guy even said, "Wow! If you have any other jobs I will be RIGHT over." Feels like I made a friend (or at the very least a business relationship) for life. It is so rare for people to even thank people now-a-days. Sad but true. Keep is classy. You can't go wrong by being good to people.

If people have resentment towards you...so what. If they have resentment towards others for a job well down...do it discretely and chances are the "average joes" won't even know about it. Just my $0.02.

When we did our build, we would bring out cold drinks (sodas), sometimes sandwiches if they were there long enough, and donuts. It was our way of saying thank you to the subs that were there longer and doing some of the "bigger" jobs. (i.e. excavation, decking/pavers, masonry work). For something like this, I do not tip in cash, as they are already getting paid what they agreed to for the work they are doing.

When we did our build, we would bring out cold drinks (sodas), sometimes sandwiches if they were there long enough, and donuts. It was our way of saying thank you to the subs that were there longer and doing some of the "bigger" jobs. (i.e. excavation, decking/pavers, masonry work). For something like this, I do not tip in cash, as they are already getting paid what they agreed to for the work they are doing.

Agreed and well said...

My brother from Houston has lived in Chandler for 7-8 yrs...nice place and have visited 3 times in last 3 yrs - ever been to the park where they fly the gas-power remote planes?

When we had our pool put up we paid MORE than they asked as they went over and beyond in getting the floor just so and just being so overall nice and caring. I even went to get them lunch on the day they worked ALL day long trying to get it finished in time for my B-day party!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.