Best way to respond to builder who installed pool incorrectly

Sep 25, 2014
SW Va
We recently had new ig steel pool , vinyl liner . One end of the pool was off level by at least 3 inches. Very noticeable. Builder took responsibility came back , jackhammered out the new deck , dug down to the concrete footer, jackhammered the footer out , leveled the pool , repoured footer, backfilled dirt, repoured deck. As new pool owners we weren't too happy about any of this . One consequence of the repair was several little bumps in floor, another area of floor looks to have a few 'blisters", floor just doesn't look as good as it did before the repair . Builder has agreed to return in spring to fix floor. Our question is this : should we expect a discount ? would you pay make the final payment of the original agreed payment ?

Like said above. As long as he meets 100% of his contract with you, then why does he owe you a discount? At this point he probably has no profit left in the job and you still want to make it worse for him by taking money away from his livelihood. Seems like he is going above and beyond to make things right with you. Mistakes happen, its what the contractor does to correct those mistakes that counts. Also, having a pool is typically a luxury, so how have you been damaged?

Like said above. As long as he meets 100% of his contract with you, then why does he owe you a discount? At this point he probably has no profit left in the job and you still want to make it worse for him by taking money away from his livelihood. Seems like he is going above and beyond to make things right with you. Mistakes happen, its what the contractor does to correct those mistakes that counts. Also, having a pool is typically a luxury, so how have you been damaged?
Not to be insensitive to the builder, or builders in general, but why should I be concerned with the builders profit or loss ? It was their mistake . We paid for a new pool and got a damaged pool . Yes , a pool is a luxury item, we paid for a luxury item, but got a damaged luxury item .The repair involved breaking out the new deck with a jackhammer and then breaking out the footer . We worry this pool won't last as long as a pool that didn't need this kind of repair.

When it is fixed you owe them the full contract price. If your worries then negotiate for a longer warranty like said above.

They don't owe you anything if they fix it 100%.

If 3 years down the road my pool fails for some reason and the PB fixes it, I am not going to ask for a refund.

It is unfortunate that it was not 100% on the first attempt. Compared to some of the horror stories on here about pool builders, I would say you found a good one who can admit a mistake, and is making an attempt to fix it. I agree that the full price is due for a pool that is finished according to the contract. I also agree that an extended warranty isn't unreasonable given your concern with the extra work having to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Builder has agreed to return in spring to fix floor. Our question is this : should we expect a discount ? would you pay make the final payment of the original agreed payment ?

It's understandable to be annoyed, and a little put off. Sounds like he's trying to make it right, and agrees that the bottom could be better, and is coming back out in the spring to address the issue. I don't think to "expect" a discount is reasonable. I'd try for something that doesn't cost him directly (out of his pocket), but maybe something for the inconvenience, I think extending the warranty or some other "upgrade" may be reasonable. It can't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't demand.

Who's paying for the water/chemicals for the pool setup for the redrain and such?

[Who's paying for the water/chemicals for the pool setup for the redrain and such?[/QUOTE]

We have a salt water chlorinator and the builder refilled with their water/salt/chems after the first repair. We haven't yet discussed new water/salt/chems for the floor repair but I would expect that is on the builder. Builder believes the bumps are vermiculite that he said they would "roll out" with a rolling pin. I was worried it was a piece of concrete or gravel. There are a couple small places that look like blisters which I thought was trapped air . Builder thinks its vermiculite again .

by the way, we appreciate the feedback on this forum ! it is really helpful .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.