Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Any recommendations on lighting an above ground pool on the cheap? I like the idea of the little floating solar rechargeable LED lights but worry they will not be bright enough for me. Would I be better off just biting the bullet and installing a real pool light? 20 foot diameter round with steel walls.

P.s. this pool has ruined me. I used to love fall and winter. Now all I can think about is opening up for season two (first full season).

Filling with water seems to be one of the main complaints I have read about on Amazon (50 watt and 100 watt). That and the bulb not lasting very long. I think I will give the nitelighter a try though. How do you turn it on/Off? I can just plug it into a standard 15 amp receptacle, right?

Yes, the power converter has a push button/GFI switch built into it. Its a good light, it just needs to be sealed better. I actually thought about getting a 2nd one since one end of my pool is not very well lit but its not like its dark on that end. We don't get out there in the dark very often either. I need to remove it and rebuild it. It's 12 volt too. I guess I could convert it to LED and then seal the light component in an epoxy to alleviate any water issue. An LED version would be really cool, especially if you could change the color on the fly.

I have the Nightliter and the only time it got water in it was when the cover was not seated correctly. I just keep redoing the cover and finally got it. I have the multicolor and the kids love being able to pick their favorite color. I found a great deal on Ebay.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have already put the Niteligher 100 in my Amazon wishlist. I will prob wait until after I open to buy it though. One more question, do the colored lenses just snap on over the primary cover or do you have to take it out of the water to change the color?

Colors change by pressing the mode/mood selector switch. You can select one of the three colors or have it rotate through all of the colors. Once it is in the pool, you only need to remove it when a bulb burns out.

You may already know this but I believe....there is a Niteliter 100 and a Niteliter 100 MC (multi-color). Double check to make sure you have selected the one you really want.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.