Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy Pump Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy Pump Motor

This is the circulation pump for my hot tub. It's a Hayward Super Pump 2. The motor is at least 14 years old and just started making this noise a few weeks ago when it got cold (for us) here in Dallas. I made a Youtube video of the pump running. I think it may be bad bearings.

Thanks for the help
    I got nothing right now

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Noisy Pump Motor

Sounds like bad bearings to me too. You can either replace the motor or just the bearings if you are willing.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Orlando, FL

Replacing a bearing can be a tricky process, below are a few links on hos to get it done. The first two are text links and the third is a video:

How To Replace the Bearings in a Pool Pump Motor - Part I

How To Replace the Bearings in a Pool Pump Motor - Part II

4. Back To Top    #4

South Lake Tahoe, California

Jooky, Replacing the bearings should be a good project for you. Do it soon before it spins the bearing. Let us know if you do it. They're not hard, the motor's gone if you don't. You can do it!