Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all, my 1.5hp Starite duraglas 1, P2RA series pump shaft seal is leaking, so I decided if I was going to do that I would look into a 2 speed motor. There is a guy selling pumps on craigslist that was a warranty person for Jandy and has a lot of 2 speed motors for sale. He only has round flange pumps and from what I can tell I have a square flange motor. He tells me that he has an adapter that converts to a square flange. He also tells me that he has shaft seals.
So my question is
1. Do all pump housings use the same size shaft seal?
2. Does Jandy make most of the pool pump motors?
3. Can you retrofit a round flange using a square flange adapter and will the shaft be the same length for the impeller to line up properly in the impeller housing?
I welcome all thoughts and experiences on this matter.

1. No - You must get the shaft seal made for the pump although many pump lines do use the same seal. Cross reference
2. No - Pump manufactures do not make motors. A.O.Smith now century makes the most of the motors for pump manufactures (Jandy, Pentair, Hayward). Emerson and US Motors/Nidec are other manufactures in addition to a couple of other smaller players.
3. I am not sure about this one.

Hi all, my 1.5hp Starite duraglas 1, P2RA series pump shaft seal is leaking, so I decided if I was going to do that I would look into a 2 speed motor. There is a guy selling pumps on craigslist that was a warranty person for Jandy and has a lot of 2 speed motors for sale. He only has round flange pumps and from what I can tell I have a square flange motor. He tells me that he has an adapter that converts to a square flange. He also tells me that he has shaft seals.
So my question is
1. Do all pump housings use the same size shaft seal?
2. Does Jandy make most of the pool pump motors?
3. Can you retrofit a round flange using a square flange adapter and will the shaft be the same length for the impeller to line up properly in the impeller housing?
I welcome all thoughts and experiences on this matter.

What Mark said and why would you want to go through all that extra work of number 3? Just get the right motor frame and be done with it

It would be best to get the motor that fits the pump. If all that's wrong is a $10 seal, then I don't see the justification of changing the motor unless your electric rates are high enough to be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Brent,
Definitely just get the square flange motor. I have a similar setup, but would need to know what impeller you have to be sure? I did switch from a single to 2-speed motor. My set-up is for 115V (3/4 HP). I needed to purchase a high/low speed switch separately. I documented my journey here in this link:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...2-3-4-HP-2-Speed-115V?highlight=2-speed+motor

Overall I'm very happy with the two-speed motor. I have a robotic pool cleaner, so low flow isn't an issue. On high speed it flows about 52 GPM, low is about 22 or so. My SWCG doesn't complain, but the heat pump won't come on in low, It will come on in High speed, and then I can swap to low. (Don't use it too much.)

You'll need to decide if you want to switch high/low speed manually or get a new timer? Also 115V or 230V? What size motor do you need. If you're looking for a timer model the EZ2-speed can be found for reasonable pricing. I've been happy the rebuilt motor. That is also a route to check. Whatever you decide make sure you don't reuse the shaft seal, even if you've just replaced it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.