Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What if I can't find Cya?

1. Back To Top    #1

What if I can't find Cya?

Hi,
    I'm out of country and here is impossible to find CYA. What can I used instead that.
    I have a 9' 10" x 16'4"rectangular frame pool (like the framed index) 2113 gal.
    This pool doesn't have filter pump but I bought a krystal clear 603 and I'm gonna cut the two holes to make it work. I have the bleach but im not sure what happens if I don't have the cya to estabilizer the water.
    Thank you for you help
    12x30 AG intex frame 1600 GAL - krystal clear model 603, 530Gal Filter Pump Cartridge - FT-100 Test Kit - Vinyl 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What if I can't find Cya?

CYA is CYA and, to my knowledge, there is no substitute for it. Can you get tri-chlor pucks? Tri-chlor powder?

Without some form of CYA, you will lose your chlorine at an alarming rate.

im not sure what happens if I don't have the cya to estabilizer the water.
    Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Where exactly is "out of country" ??

Someone on the forum from that area might have a source.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

As a last resort you can use dichlor or trichlor, both of which contain both chlorine and CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    As a last resort you can use dichlor or trichlor, both of which contain both chlorine and CYA.
    Thanks to all
    I'm in Argentina and here the only things that I can find is clarifier, alguicide, shock and tablets.
    So, if i find dichlor or trichlor the ph is going to go up or down? What do you sugest to use it? Should I convine it with bleach?
    12x30 AG intex frame 1600 GAL - krystal clear model 603, 530Gal Filter Pump Cartridge - FT-100 Test Kit - Vinyl 2014

6. Back To Top    #6

I think he means out in the country...away from the city.

If so, next time you're in town Alan, most places like Walmart or hardware stores that sell pool chems will have it.

EDIT: Wait! Your profile says CO. Please change that to Argentina if that's where you are.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Alanmathew View Post
    Thanks to all
    I'm in Argentina and here the only things that I can find is clarifier, alguicide, shock and tablets.
    So, if i find dichlor or trichlor the ph is going to go up or down? What do you sugest to use it? Should I convine it with bleach?
    pH will go down with dichlor or trichlor. If you look at Poolmath and enter your numbers in the table, then scroll down to "Effects of Adding Chemicals" you can get a pretty good estimate of what will happen.

For pool your size, you could use just about anything to chlorinate. If CH or CYA buildup gets too bad, a partial drain is not a huge ordeal. Unless water is scarce or expensive where you live.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Well he's way out in the country compared to me !!

Searched and didn't find anything useful to help you on sourcing some but hopefully someone will have an idea.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Well he's way out in the country compared to me !!

Searched and didn't find anything useful to help you on sourcing some but hopefully someone will have an idea.
    Thank you
    I think the only solution to add CYA is adding bleach every night and once a week a tablet!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    pH will go down with dichlor or trichlor. If you look at Poolmath and enter your numbers in the table, then scroll down to "Effects of Adding Chemicals" you can get a pretty good estimate of what will happen.

For pool your size, you could use just about anything to chlorinate. If CH or CYA buildup gets too bad, a partial drain is not a huge ordeal. Unless water is scarce or expensive where you live.
    Hi Richard
    When you said anything to chlorinate, what do you suggest is the best, only bleach every night?
    Or add dichlor or trichlor?

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't forget that CYA is also called "stabilizer" or "conditioner". If you can't find it, then the fastest way to build up CYA is to use Dichlor which is also called chlorinating granules. For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm. If you aren't in a hurry, then you can use Trichlor pucks/tabs where for every 10 ppm FC they increase CYA by 6 ppm. As for what is "best", you'll have the best swimming experience if you are able go get CYA built up at least some and then when it reaches a reasonable level for your area then switch over to using bleach. Since the pool is so small, just using Trichlor pucks/tabs isn't a big problem since the CYA can be readily diluted by water replacement.

Since Trichlor is quite acidic, you will need to add some sort of pH Up product to maintain the pH. You probably don't have access to Borax so the pH Up from the pool store will likely be sodium carbonate and that would be what you would use to manage the pH when using Trichlor pucks/tabs.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Alanmathew View Post
    Hi Richard
    When you said anything to chlorinate, what do you suggest is the best, only bleach every night?
    Or add dichlor or trichlor?
    There are too many variables to say. I have absolutely no idea what water, bleach, or powdered chlorines cost where you are, nor how easy they are to come by, nor what the fill water is like. If you have really "hard" water, where you're constantly adding acid to adjust pH, trichlor pucks would be great, Cal-hypo would not. If you're already having to raise pH, then Cal-hypo or bleach might be cheapest.

Have you ever tested the fill water? Is it expensive?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

There are too many variables to say. I have absolutely no idea what water, bleach, or powdered chlorines cost where you are, nor how easy they are to come by, nor what the fill water is like. If you have really "hard" water, where you're constantly adding acid to adjust pH, trichlor pucks would be great, Cal-hypo would not. If you're already having to raise pH, then Cal-hypo or bleach might be cheapest.

The water is really hard. Expensive but for this size of the pool there is no problem.
    I'm filing the pool tonight. Tomorrow night Im gonna turn on the filter pump and the add the bleach. How should I do next?
    I'm mean next days? Trichlor in tablets?
    Thank you

14. Back To Top    #14

Adjust pH and add chlorine. If the water is high pH and high in TA, then chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor until CYA reaches the right level then switch to bleach. Whatever chlorine you add will be gone within a couple hours unless it is protected by some CYA. A whole lot of this will make sense once you start doing it: testing, dosing, checking results.

15. Back To Top    #15

Adjust pH and add chlorine. If the water is high pH and high in TA, then chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor until CYA reaches the right level then switch to bleach. Whatever chlorine you add will be gone within a couple hours unless it is protected by some CYA. A whole lot of this will make sense once you start doing it: testing, dosing, checking results.
    Hi Richard thanks
    So the schedule everyday is test chlorine and ph, adjust it, add bleach and di or trichlor in tablets? (This until I reach Cya target) or only tablets? How much?
    Should I add bleach the first time or only the tablets in the floater?
    Thank you and sorry the confusion is that last summer in us your method help to keep the water all season in great condition with bleach and Cya once at beginning, and I'm scare using tablets. So I want to do it right again

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi to all
    I just did the test. Te results
    Fc 3-5
    Ph 7,3
    TA 400 ppm
    THardness 300 ppm

I think everything is ok except for the alcalinity. What shoul I do to lower the TA?
    Thank you

17. Back To Top    #17

It's unusual to have the TA be so high and the pH not be high. Are you sure you didn't have static electricity on the dropper tip? Were the drops well formed or were they small and squirting out? If you verify that the TA is indeed that high, then you can read the Pool School article on how to Lower Total Alkalinity.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree, that is very high TA you should see it reflected in pH. Please re-run that one Alan, and see if you get the same result. Double check it all and maybe it will be different.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem