Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them

1. Back To Top    #1

Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them

I have a touchy situation with my next door neighbor with whom we don't want to endanger our friendly relationship.
    He has installed four 5' high water fountains into it to splash into his pool. He says he must do this to aerate the pool. Now we are about 20 feet away and the fountains are very loud in our quiet neighborhood. We moved out here to enjoy the sounds of the birds and squirrels and we can't hear them (or much else) when that's running. They agreed to run it from 3pm on 'til 9pm but it's beginning to irritate me that I can't enjoy my yard during that time.
    That said, is it really necessary for them to do this? I've never known anyone else to do it before. Can anyone suggest an alternative way of aerating their pool that I might suggest? Thank you very much in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them. Can u advis

if he is trying to lower very high TA then he will need to add muriatic acid and aerate his water
    but this should not be an ongoing issue unless you have high TA fill water
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them. Can u advis

As noted above, lowering TA is a temporary reason to aerate.

Otherwise, there's no reason to need to aerate on a regular basis. Even when lowering TA, it's not always necessary to aerate.

There are ways to reduce the noise of waterfalls. Making the water a solid sheet hitting the pool surface creates much less noise.

If the water breaks up during its descent, it will splash and churn.

Also, there are other ways to aerate.

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe this neighbor could glean a bit of help from this site which would in turn help you? Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them

This is something that is probably more of a lifestyle choice on their part rather than a necessity. They (like my wife) probably enjoy the sound. Time to grab a bottle of wine, walk next door and have a friendly talk.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum LaurieK

Can you post a picture of the four fountains ?? I'm guessing it's more for looks and sound than it is for anything functional. Sounds like a lot of work if they were doing it just temporarily. sorry to say.

There are different ways to introduce air into the pool that would be quieter like using the return jet to suck in air or just some PVC pipe that screws into the return but doesn't rise very far off the surface with multiple holes to spray water and cause aeration.
    If your neighbor has an air compressor they could also run a hose into the pool then it's just a matter of where to place the compressor so it's noise doesn't become a problem too.

You might need to gently poke around trying to find the reason for the fountains to begin to try and help them with a solution both of you can live with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum. I wish you luck with this sticky situation. Let us know what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you very much for your helpful reply! It's much appreciated. I love our neighbors - so hope to work this out. Have a great day. Laurie

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a fantastic idea, James. Thank you for your help! I will pass that along. I love our neighbors and cherish having a good relationship with them. I know they think they have to aerate a lot so I will see how to carefully make some suggestions. Much appreciated. Laurie

10. Back To Top    #10

That's a good idea. You have all been so helpful - thank you! Laurie

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Tim, I used to enjoy it, but this is a bit too loud for me. You're right, some people like the sound of noise. I appreciate your vision of an approach too. I love our neighbors and cherish our friendly relationship so let me see what I can do. I must say this site is very helpful! Thank you! Laurie