Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build Kingwood TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build Kingwood TX

This is my third pool but first one I ever built. I researched this site extensively to get informaiton and ideas. Our last pool was a free form pool but my wife much prefers the classic lines so we went with a very simple "roman style" pool. Thanks to DoubleD on this site who enlightened me on the City of Houston requirement for detention ponds for property sizes greater than 15K Square Feet. With engineering fees, permits and the construction this requirement is adding about $3,000 to the project. As an added benefit I get a 120 foot by 6 foot wide and 6 inch deep swale along my back property line (note scarasm) due to the fine minds of the City of Houston.

Now I have to got my HOA and convince them that 5 trees need to be removed in order to build my pool. Those people not familar with Kingwood, Texas, it is heavily wooded area north of Houston and they (along with The Woodlands, TX) take their trees very seriously. I suspect I will have to add some new tress to my site but since pines are going to be removed and red oaks going in I think I'm coming out ahead.

Most of the delay has been deciding between spray deck and travertine pavers. We finally decided on travertine pavers. Now with all the rain we have had for the past couple of weeks I suspect my build will be delayed so that they can "catch up" on everyone's build. If I'm lucky it should be ready by the time it just starts to warm up around here which is perfect.

I've noted peoples' advice on this forum. Relax and enjoy the process as much as possible. There will be delays, dirt and mud everywhere but there will be an end to the project. The kids are away at college so at least we won't have them asking everyday, "is the pool done yet". There will be mistakes and unforseen problems. I know this to be the case but I do what to keep it in perspective it is "just a pool". A very expensive toy but a toy nonetheless. I'm not going to accept a shotty job but I've been around long to know that issues will arise. Additional costs are guaranteed and I made sure my wife was fully on board before we signed the contract. I will keep everyone posted on pics, etc. but nothing will probably begin for another 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I will continue to live vicariously through others on this site.

I attached a copy of computer generated pictures for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build Kingwood TX

Nice first post! Good luck and welcome to TFP.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Love the shape of the pool! And hopefully you get the pine/oak transition approved - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

4. Back To Top    #4

We are glad to see you got through the red tape and moving forward. We hope everything goes as planned....... as pool builds always do.

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome looking pool! What are the pool's dimensions if I may ask?

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP and good luck with your build ! Keep us posted with pic's.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Looks nice! Do you have some trees or a structure to provide some shade for you?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

TexTommyBoy: Pool Dimensions are 30 x 15. The tanning ledge and steps add another 10 feet to the length.

bmoreswim: Absolutely. Most the trees are not shown are are to the right of the pool between my neighbor and me. Those will all stay. That is also the direction the sun rises so the pool does not get sun until around 12 noon. Then it is gone by 3 pm past my roof line. We put in umbrella holders in the tanning ledge since so my wife can sit in a chair and keep her feet cool. In the unlikely event we need more, I've been looking at the sun sails but do not think we will need them. I actually have the opposite problem.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. HOA application goes in tomorrow and not much will be happening for a few weeks. But when it does I will post pics, information, etc.

Good luck to all other builders.

9. Back To Top    #9

HI Espejo!
    Welcome to TFP! Nice pool design, I like the wide steps on one end and a shelf on the other.
    Keep us posted as you progress. We love sing these things come along!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

We have HOA approval, not bad since it only took 5 days. Our HOA changed the policy the day before our pool application submittal whereby the committee has to visit the site to inspect the location before it can be approved. Also finalized the pool contract to cover things I felt were missing, like providing a certificate of insurance naming my wife and I as additional insureds under their policy, indemnity rights against the PB should any subcontractors attempt to file a lien for nonpayment by PB and a cap on the detention pond that the City of Houston requires for lot sizes greater than 15,000 SqFt.

The tree crew shows up this morning to remove 4 large pines that are in the footprint of the pool. We plan on a complete landscape once the pool is build and in the next couple of weeks will begin that process it can start as soon as the pool is done. Backyard.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Great News! Congrats or condolences on this new endeavor
    ..oh, and no great loss on the Pines-I hate them.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

12. Back To Top    #12

I love it!

Can you take a pic. looking at your house? I LOVE all of the windows! How big is your lot?

Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure here you go with Pines cut ready for PB to pull stumps. The lot is a little over 19,000 SQFT. The current raised concrete patio will be removed and 2 steps added down to pool and spa with travertine all around. Hopefully will start next week or week after.Backyard.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

THAT is a pretty house! WOW!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    THAT is a pretty house! WOW!

Kim
    Needs more windows. lol
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

Nice clean lines.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Progress!! It has taken 10 weeks but the City of Houston has finally provided the Stormwater letter which is needed before you can submit your stormwater management plan. My engineer will submit the plans for approval today but I understand it could take at least 3 weeks until they are approved. I'm thinking more like 4-5 weeks. If we are lucky we may actually have a shovel in the ground by the end of May. And if the project proceeds as plannned we may have a pool for the very end of the summer. I'm hoping by sometime in August.

The City of Houston permits group is claiming that due to the large numbers of new Houston residents coming into the City they have a large backlog of permits in the system. I'm hearing similar stories from others in my situation so just be prepared.

18. Back To Top    #18

Beautiful home, hope you get at least a few weeks of enjoyment for your new pool!
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

19. Back To Top    #19

Hopefully it doesn't drag out too long with the city!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

20. Back To Top    #20

Don't know how I missed this thread, we are practically neighbors! Love the yard, your pool is going to be gorgeous! And lucky us, here in Houston...we have a long swim season, so you will get to swim and enjoy it through September...and there is always that hot tub too

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast