Exclamation Holy CYA, Batman!

Temp 46°F
    FC 4.5 ppm
    TC 4.5 ppm
    pH 7.6
    TA 90 ppm
    CH 300 ppm
    CYA 40 ppm

My pool was completed last month, and we started filling on December 6th. For several weeks, my PB was maintaining the chemistry and has since transitioned maintenance over to me. Since the plaster is still new, the water is cold, and nobody is swimming, I have been taking my time getting the chemistry lined out. Alkalinity is coming down, calcium is now good, and pH is starting to stabilize. I'm waiting for the trichlor pucks to get consumed from the feeder before converting my pool over to salt water.

Meanwhile, I'm taking advantage of the CYA content in the trichlor so I don't have to go purchase any for awhile. But, holy cow, my CYA is up to 40 already and I've only been using pucks for 5 weeks!! If I continue to use trichlor, I'll reach my target CYA before the vernal equinox. I know this site likes to rail against trichlor (and I understand why), but I really had no concept on how quickly CYA can build up. Any non-believers out there....consider yourself warned!

Thanks, everyone, for the great information on this forum! I'm a TFP believer for sure.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Holy CYA, Batman!

It doesn't take long that's for sure. Looks like you're on top of it!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats, Jay! I agree, tabs can quickly whack-out the CYA and I’m convinced that SWG is the best low-maintenance option for pools without natural rock. But, I’m not tossing my in-line tab feeder just yet. I’ve had great results using the in-line to supplement Clorox additions. Set at a low charge (especially in winter with an open pool), it’s an excellent way to supplement FC. I keep my levels as close to perfect as possible, so when we leave for a long weekend, that tab-feeder really comes in handy. As a newbie, I had doubted that I’d ever purchase tabs again. Not so and I’ve actually had some issues with low CYA (<20PPM). I’m guessing it’s the huge amount of rainfall, high temps and high swim-load (my Lab swims daily-upper 40’s ain’t no deterrent); SE Texas gets an average rainfall of 55”. Heck I’ve seen in one day 11”. That’s a bunch of dilution. Anyway, good job, keep it up and great looking pool!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

4. Back To Top    #4

You've actually had one of the most important revelations of pool care. Though pool care isn't complex, you need to be aware of what adding something does to your water. Like a lot of things in life, we can tell you that trichlor adds CYA fast, but until you see it for yourself, it is hard to believe.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Holy CYA, Batman!

It's not that we're against using trichlor tabs Jay, it's using them as your only means of chlorination that we're against. The tabs have their place, you just have to know when enough is enough.
    With accurate testing and knowing what each tab brings to the party you'll know when enough is enough. You seem to understand this very well. Good job !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

yup
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Since it's working so well, I just bought a few individual pucks to refill the feeder. I'll keep this up until my CYA is right where I want it to be. I'm only 20ppm from my target.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds good.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.