Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool replaster started today

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool replaster started today

Today a couple guys showed up to start the replaster work. They spent about 3 hours, drained the pool, chipped plaster out from the two spots that need repairing and from around the tile and returns. Looks dirty but so far so good.

Tomorrow they will finish the repair, sandblast the entire surface and apply some bonding coat. Monday will be the application of plaster.

A few pictures:

Pool:

Two repair spots:

Spa:
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool replaster started today

Love the tile and coping. Can't wait to see it with the finished plaster. - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool! I love re-do jobs for some reason. Keep us posted on it. What are they putting in? Re-doing all the tile too?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

More pictures.

After the initial prep, where they chiseled off the plater around all the plumbing and tile, they sandblasted the entire pool to clean up any loose plaster. They then did the repair to the rebar and covered it with hydrolic cement. Next was this bonding coat, I was thinking it would be like a paint, but it is more like thinset, about 3/4" inch thick.

That was Friday. The spa light was replaced as well, because it was shorting and tripping the GFCI. Hopefully that will work now.

Then plaster today:

They gave me a start up document. Maintaining water chemestry, no salt or cleaners for a couple weeks. Brush twice daily to remove plaster dust, running filter until clean. They put in the hose to fill it up, has a cloth on the end to keep it from messing up the plaster.

It looks really nice and amazingly smooth.

david
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow that was fast! I have never seen the bonding thing done. I have always seen the old chipped out and new put on top. it looks great! You didn't have any loose tiles? Did they clean the tiles? It looks like they did.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope no cleaning of the tiles. That is a good idea though, I should have done that before they put new plaster in. Oh well . . .

7. Back To Top    #7

We had our old plaster chipped out. Seems like there would be more labor in adding a bonding coat than chipping out the old. I guess that is another way to do it though.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks good!

The bonding coat can be a good idea and shows they are thorough. They don't want to come back for a re-do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem