Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic Timer Dial Gear Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic Timer Dial Gear Issue

My intermatic timer motor is turning the timer dial but the dial stops turning when it gets to the dogs. I disconnected the motor and turn the timer gear by hand and it slips when it gets to the dog as well. If I turn the whole dial itself, the dogs do their job and trip the switches. This is my first house with a pool so Im wondering if Im missing something stupid and if this repairable without replacing the timer mechanism?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Intermatic Timer Dial Gear Issue

It sounds like the cog is slipping on the shaft. You may be able to put a drop of glue on it, but that would be a temporary fix. The best bet is to replace the gear(s) that have the hub slipping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Re: Intermatic Timer Dial Gear Issue

If you are able to turn the timer dial without pulling it out toward you first, the gear on the timer motor is stripped, and you should replace the timer mechanism. You can replace just the timer motor w/gear, but that is replacing the motor. The rest of the mechanism, switch, contacts, timer gears, etc. is who knows how old and is probably worn the same. And if they haven't failed yet, could do so soon. My advice is to replace the whole mech.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.