Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I missing a check valve?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Sunny SoCal

Am I missing a check valve?

Today I removed my SWG to check for calcium buildup (was pretty clean, even with 490 CH). The short time it was off, I could hear my whole system filling with air, meaning all the water in the system was draining back into the pool. Not really an issue, except for the fact that it pulled a bunch of DE powder from the filter with it. When I looked down at the bottom of the pool I could see where the DE powder was coming back into the the pool from the floor drains and skimmer.

So, am I missing a check valve to prevent this, or do I have to turn a valve to closed? My pool was a sparkling 61 degrees... and now its a little cloudy from the DE powder.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Am I missing a check valve?

I can't tell, do you have a multi-port on the top of your filter?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Because of this, I always like to have a check valve between the pump and filter. If you remove the pump lid a few minutes before allowing air into the system from after the filter, that will usually help. Alternatively, you could close the three way valve in front of the pump to prevent backflow.

Note: The filter has a slide valve. The part on top of the filter is a data cable that goes to an Intelliflo.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

A check valve after the filter would serve the same function and it is less likely to have debris cause leaks.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sydney, Australia

you wont need check valves as you have a 3 way in front of your pump which you should close off first before opening pump lids, swc's etc. It also looks like you have ball valves and 2 way valves on the return to pool lines which you close off. But remember to turn them back open once you have done the work.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.