Pool Heating in Central Florida

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
We have an above ground 18X33 pool coming soon. The pool holds about 14,000 gallons. We are snow birds and will use the pool from late August to early May. I guess my first question is whether we need a heater at all. There are some nice plus 70 degree sunny days in the "winter" here when we would like to use the pool. From what I've read it appears that a heat pump might do the job for us. If so how big a heat pump do we need? Not sure which direction the house faces for solar panel use. We use propane to heat our house in Pa in the winter and there is alot of price gouging up there so my inclination is to stay away from propane not to mention that it costs almost twice as much in Florida ! . There is no natural gas here.

You won't get much heat out of a heat pump once the temps get 60 or below. If you are looking to be able to say start heating in the middle of the week to swim for the weekend, a heat pump is going to need much more time that that. I would have to say in your case, above ground pool which doesn't give you any thermal protection because it is above the ground, you really might want to consider propane. At least with propane you can get a better on demand heating.

It is also nearly always cheaper to heat the pool up for use (like on the weekends) and not heat it during the week when it is not used. You would want the faster heating from gas though.

Lets suppose I run the heat pump constantly. Would it maintain a constant 86 degree pool water temp after taking days to get it up to that level? And if it could would my electric bill go through the roof? :) Any members using a heat pump in Central Florida? If so, could you please share your experiences?

You mentioned earlier that propane costs were twice as much in FL as in PA. Are you sure about that?

Even though the cost to heat with a heat pump seems cheaper, you will have issues if you do any "quick" heating functions.

I've pulled many a heat pumps out because they just don't do it for some customers. But I'm sure some heat pump guy will say the same for a gas heater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will be using a pool cover. I guess solar is an option. At this point not sure which direction my house faces. Its a manufactured home so not sure how much weight the roof will bear. I do have a large back yard so there should be room for panels on a rack. Just bought the pool so money is too tight for two separate systems. I see that you have a 100K heat pump bobo. Does it do the job for you?

You mentioned earlier that propane costs were twice as much in FL as in PA. Are you sure about that?

Even though the cost to heat with a heat pump seems cheaper, you will have issues if you do any "quick" heating functions.

I've pulled many a heat pumps out because they just don't do it for some customers. But I'm sure some heat pump guy will say the same for a gas heater.

I know that a propane heater will give me "quick" heat. But I'm thinking it might be more economical to just wait until say March 1 and then turn on the heat pump and pretty much leave it on till early May when we head back up north. Then turn it on again in October and use it into November/December again leaving it on.

The propane cost in Pa was $2.15 a gallon at my last fill in October 2014. The $3.59 a gallon was the price I was quoted yesterday here in Florida.

- - - Updated - - -

I use it to extend the season or to begin early. Nov/March. I don't have a pool cover. Water currently is 64.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Thats how I'm thinking of using one too. How did you decide on 100K BTU? Pool supply place recommended 85K BTU for my 18x33 pool which I think will hold 14-15,000 gallons. A little less than yours.

Hi Dave, I inhered the "dead" heat pump when I purchased the house. The owners said it didn't work, the home inspection said it was dead, so I thought it was dead. I did some research, found some trouble shooting videos, got out my multi meter and went to work. Turned on the pool pump, kicked on the main breaker, turned it up to the highest temp setting, was taking offer the cover to the power connector, about 3 minutes had passed and low and behold the unit kicked on. Read that there was a 3 minute lock out on the unit to prevent short cycling. Score!

You would be better off with gas heating, your bill will be 500 plus trying to use a heatpump during the winter, been there and done that in south florida. Its the pump that will raise up your electric being run 24/7 to try and keep the temperature up. Natural gas would probably be the best bet.

Hi Dave, I inhered the "dead" heat pump when I purchased the house. The owners said it didn't work, the home inspection said it was dead, so I thought it was dead. I did some research, found some trouble shooting videos, got out my multi meter and went to work. Turned on the pool pump, kicked on the main breaker, turned it up to the highest temp setting, was taking offer the cover to the power connector, about 3 minutes had passed and low and behold the unit kicked on. Read that there was a 3 minute lock out on the unit to prevent short cycling. Score!

Good job Bobo, you're my hero !

- - - Updated - - -

You would be better off with gas heating, your bill will be 500 plus trying to use a heatpump during the winter, been there and done that in south florida. Its the pump that will raise up your electric being run 24/7 to try and keep the temperature up. Natural gas would probably be the best bet.

Natural gas would be great but unfortunately not available where we live. Only propane which is very expensive.

Good job Bobo, you're my hero !

- - - Updated - - -

Natural gas would be great but unfortunately not available where we live. Only propane which is very expensive.

Yes, I had propane before I put in a heat pump at the old house, in ground tank that the previous owner left part filled, I got quotes and never did fill it up again. Still the heat pump at cooler temperatures is rediculously inefficient and the more you run the pool pump, the higher the electric bill goes.

Just heating my spa at night now with 65-70 degree air temps takes over an hour and a half.

Yes, I had propane before I put in a heat pump at the old house, in ground tank that the previous owner left part filled, I got quotes and never did fill it up again. Still the heat pump at cooler temperatures is rediculously inefficient and the more you run the pool pump, the higher the electric bill goes.

Just heating my spa at night now with 65-70 degree air temps takes over an hour and a half.

Shoot after 30 minutes I would have given up. Most people want it heated in 10 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.