Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heating in Central Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heating in Central Florida

We have an above ground 18X33 pool coming soon. The pool holds about 14,000 gallons. We are snow birds and will use the pool from late August to early May. I guess my first question is whether we need a heater at all. There are some nice plus 70 degree sunny days in the "winter" here when we would like to use the pool. From what I've read it appears that a heat pump might do the job for us. If so how big a heat pump do we need? Not sure which direction the house faces for solar panel use. We use propane to heat our house in Pa in the winter and there is alot of price gouging up there so my inclination is to stay away from propane not to mention that it costs almost twice as much in Florida ! . There is no natural gas here.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Heating in Central Florida

Do you plan on keeping it heated all the time or only for say weekend swim?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Do you plan on keeping it heated all the time or only for say weekend swim?
    I guess that depends on the cost to heat it. We do have nights where it goes down into the 30's and I'm sure that would knock down the temperature quite a bit. We wouldn't use the pool every day. I will be using a solar blanket.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You won't get much heat out of a heat pump once the temps get 60 or below. If you are looking to be able to say start heating in the middle of the week to swim for the weekend, a heat pump is going to need much more time that that. I would have to say in your case, above ground pool which doesn't give you any thermal protection because it is above the ground, you really might want to consider propane. At least with propane you can get a better on demand heating.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

It is also nearly always cheaper to heat the pool up for use (like on the weekends) and not heat it during the week when it is not used. You would want the faster heating from gas though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Lets suppose I run the heat pump constantly. Would it maintain a constant 86 degree pool water temp after taking days to get it up to that level? And if it could would my electric bill go through the roof? Any members using a heat pump in Central Florida? If so, could you please share your experiences?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Dave, I would suggest messing around with this Raypak heat pump calculator to give you an idea on cost. The costs are averages and will show "Best Case Scenario" type pricing but it will give you a good price ballpark:

http://roxwebdev01.pixelgate.net/gas...ak.php?appid=1

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Dave, I would suggest messing around with this Raypak heat pump calculator to give you an idea on cost. The costs are averages and will show "Best Case Scenario" type pricing but it will give you a good price ballpark:

http://roxwebdev01.pixelgate.net/gas...ak.php?appid=1
    Good stuff Citizen. Propane is much more expensive and thats why I shy away from it. What do you use in Orlando?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You mentioned earlier that propane costs were twice as much in FL as in PA. Are you sure about that?

Even though the cost to heat with a heat pump seems cheaper, you will have issues if you do any "quick" heating functions.

I've pulled many a heat pumps out because they just don't do it for some customers. But I'm sure some heat pump guy will say the same for a gas heater.
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

Is solar an option? With a heat pump?
    http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/EN/consumer/...ools/index.htm

If you're not using a cover heating a pool is like heating the house without a roof.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

I will be using a pool cover. I guess solar is an option. At this point not sure which direction my house faces. Its a manufactured home so not sure how much weight the roof will bear. I do have a large back yard so there should be room for panels on a rack. Just bought the pool so money is too tight for two separate systems. I see that you have a 100K heat pump bobo. Does it do the job for you?

12. Back To Top    #12

I use it to extend the season or to begin early. Nov/March. I don't have a pool cover. Water currently is 64.

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You mentioned earlier that propane costs were twice as much in FL as in PA. Are you sure about that?

Even though the cost to heat with a heat pump seems cheaper, you will have issues if you do any "quick" heating functions.

I've pulled many a heat pumps out because they just don't do it for some customers. But I'm sure some heat pump guy will say the same for a gas heater.
    I know that a propane heater will give me "quick" heat. But I'm thinking it might be more economical to just wait until say March 1 and then turn on the heat pump and pretty much leave it on till early May when we head back up north. Then turn it on again in October and use it into November/December again leaving it on.

The propane cost in Pa was $2.15 a gallon at my last fill in October 2014. The $3.59 a gallon was the price I was quoted yesterday here in Florida.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    I use it to extend the season or to begin early. Nov/March. I don't have a pool cover. Water currently is 64.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    Thats how I'm thinking of using one too. How did you decide on 100K BTU? Pool supply place recommended 85K BTU for my 18x33 pool which I think will hold 14-15,000 gallons. A little less than yours.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    Thats how I'm thinking of using one too. How did you decide on 100K BTU? Pool supply place recommended 85K BTU for my 18x33 pool which I think will hold 14-15,000 gallons. A little less than yours.

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi Dave, I inhered the "dead" heat pump when I purchased the house. The owners said it didn't work, the home inspection said it was dead, so I thought it was dead. I did some research, found some trouble shooting videos, got out my multi meter and went to work. Turned on the pool pump, kicked on the main breaker, turned it up to the highest temp setting, was taking offer the cover to the power connector, about 3 minutes had passed and low and behold the unit kicked on. Read that there was a 3 minute lock out on the unit to prevent short cycling. Score!

16. Back To Top    #16

You would be better off with gas heating, your bill will be 500 plus trying to use a heatpump during the winter, been there and done that in south florida. Its the pump that will raise up your electric being run 24/7 to try and keep the temperature up. Natural gas would probably be the best bet.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

Hi Dave, I inhered the "dead" heat pump when I purchased the house. The owners said it didn't work, the home inspection said it was dead, so I thought it was dead. I did some research, found some trouble shooting videos, got out my multi meter and went to work. Turned on the pool pump, kicked on the main breaker, turned it up to the highest temp setting, was taking offer the cover to the power connector, about 3 minutes had passed and low and behold the unit kicked on. Read that there was a 3 minute lock out on the unit to prevent short cycling. Score!
    Good job Bobo, you're my hero !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    You would be better off with gas heating, your bill will be 500 plus trying to use a heatpump during the winter, been there and done that in south florida. Its the pump that will raise up your electric being run 24/7 to try and keep the temperature up. Natural gas would probably be the best bet.
    Natural gas would be great but unfortunately not available where we live. Only propane which is very expensive.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2590 View Post
    Good job Bobo, you're my hero !

- - - Updated - - -

Natural gas would be great but unfortunately not available where we live. Only propane which is very expensive.
    Yes, I had propane before I put in a heat pump at the old house, in ground tank that the previous owner left part filled, I got quotes and never did fill it up again. Still the heat pump at cooler temperatures is rediculously inefficient and the more you run the pool pump, the higher the electric bill goes.

Just heating my spa at night now with 65-70 degree air temps takes over an hour and a half.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Yes, I had propane before I put in a heat pump at the old house, in ground tank that the previous owner left part filled, I got quotes and never did fill it up again. Still the heat pump at cooler temperatures is rediculously inefficient and the more you run the pool pump, the higher the electric bill goes.

Just heating my spa at night now with 65-70 degree air temps takes over an hour and a half.
    Shoot after 30 minutes I would have given up. Most people want it heated in 10 minutes.
    Paul