Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED Lighting

1. Back To Top    #1

LED Lighting

Hi all,

I am considering changing my pool light to a color LED bulb. I have been looking at the J&J Electronics ColorSplash 3G. I have found one for under $300. Does anyone have any experience with this bulb or would you recommend something different?

My pool has one light - in the deep end, under the diving board. It has a standard incandescent bulb right now. I am wondering if this LED light is bright enough to light the entire pool or if it will just light the deep end? There are mixed reviews online.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
    18 x 36 vinyl liner IG pool, grecian shape, ~27k gal
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward DE3620 Filter
    Hayward Aqua Rite Electronic SWG, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED Lighting

As a rule, LED is not as intense, and if you like it bright it may not be enough for that length of pool and your light placement. I really don't know about those but perhaps someone has used this brand that can lend some advice.

Also, I'm moving this to the construction forum as you may have a better response there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    I have a J&J LED bulb. Patrick is right in saying the LED is not as intense.
    My pool is a couple feet shorter than yours. I used to have a 500W incandescent which lit up the pool very well.
    The intensity of the LED vs the Incandescent is significant.
    I would guess there's a 30% difference.
    The LED does light my pool from end to end, but it fades rather quick in the shallow end.

I do wish it were brighter, but the different light shows and the fact that the LED is wayyy easier on the light bill make up for the lack of intensity. Overall, Im happy enough with it.

Maybe before too long the LED technology will provide better intensity. When it does, I will be all over me a new bulb!

Edit to add: Another difference I noticed between the two bulbs, is the shimmer. The LED doesnt provide nearly the shimmer on the bottom of the pool that the incandescent one does. I really do miss that!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same pool as you, I have 1 color logic LED in the same spot as you. It does not light the shallow end at all. The deep end is well lit, the walls, steps in the shallow end gets light, the floor does not. Just not enough brightness to illuminate that far
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

This is why we went we two LED lights....now our deep end is only 5.6 and shallow 3.6, so we could be talking diff terms regarding relative depths. we also have one LED in the spa too, but I cannot give you any information as to how they look, bc we were just pebble sheened yesterday.

Regarding LED efficiency vs incandescnet, an incan last 1500 hrs. LED 52,000 hrs. An incan that burns at 60W's, an LED can do 7.5W - 15W. We just installed (10) 6" LEDS and (12) 4" LED's in our summer kitchen - they are amazing

6. Back To Top    #6

Our's is about 29' long (15' wide). We went with two LEDs and they turned out rather nicely. One points from deep to shallow...then other points across the shallow end. I played with whole LED light show and it may be nice for parties, but we plan on staying "white" on the schedule. While I may be rather new to pools, I know a lot about lighting and have been a fan of LEDs for years. Went with Kihcler in the kitchen and baths as well as the three-bulb fixtures in the garden. LED has come a long way in just the last five years. They are finally getting more intense and less "cold blue" which is good since we like a softer warmer yellow look (similar to iridescent).

As for pool lights. There is a great video that shows how just the difference between brands will look completely different in the pool. The whiter/brighter your interior the better your reflection and lighting will be. Also the lighter colors (white, green, etc) show up much better than the darker colors (red, magenta).

check out this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgyciXQ9Ew
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

7. Back To Top    #7

The wattage was surely the difference...would have liked to seen all of the same watts w diff brands to see if there was as major delta, as well as the same wattage of same brands w diff color lights to see the relative comparisons...

8. Back To Top    #8

Going through the same process -looking to replace my pool lights during my drain/refill with LEDs. Since it is contained in a wet niche that I assume is supposed to be a waterproof housing, can I use any PAR38 LED floodlight - or does it have to be a specific LED light for the pool? Price difference is $29.99 for a 1450 lumen outdoor weatherproof light or $70 - 500 for a pentair/hayward LED light specifically labeled for pools. Has anyone gone through this thought process yet? Am I missing something? How many lumens should the pool light discharge?
    **33K free form IG plaster pool, pentair FNSP 60 Plus - DE, 1.5 HP WhisperFlo pump, 120V American Products pool light, Polaris, Taylor K-2006 Kit**