Pool Pump Recommendation - Current pump uses 2.57kW!

Jan 12, 2015
Orange, CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm a relatively new pool owner (1.5 years) and I'm looking for ways to help cut my monthly electric bill. After analyzing our usage, I've come to the conclusion that the pool pump for my pool consumes roughly 33% of the electricity we use. I run the pump 6 hours a day in the winter and 8 hours in the summer.

Here's the pump I currently have:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340040-SF-N1-2A-SuperFlo-Volt/dp/B005ZABMHA

Here are the spec's for my pool as best I can guess:
10,000-12,000 gallon pool, with attached spa (with mini waterfall spillover into pool)
2" primary piping
Spa has 3 jets I think.

Electrical cost is roughly $.32-$.35/kWh depending on season. I noticed that the pump uses a full 2.57kW while running (not just theoretical, but actual based on power consumption). This seems insanely high and I am looking for a more efficient alternative. I've seen this: http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pool-pump-reviews.html which looks appealing, but reading other posts about these pumps on this forum seem to indicate they aren't as good as their site claims.

I'm open to any suggestions around what I can do to reduce electrical consumption. I look forward to your guidance!

-Travis

Hey Travis, I'm in the same boat. I see you have a superflo pump section. Maybe you can buy the superflo VS motor and retrofit it to the superflo pump section for less money? The superflo VS has three speed presets controllable via 3 low voltage inputs, but you can adjust the speed of those three presets in increments of 5% of something. Or, the very latest model has a clock if you don't have an automation system. If hacking isn't your thing, you could just buy the whole pump and drop it in and not worry about piping, etc. The ecopoolpump is just a fancy marketing effort for a two speed PSC AC motor. Check out the energystar website. You'll see the superflo VS ranges from around 20 gallons/Wh to around 30 gallons/Wh, if my memory serves. I wonder if your current pump is massively oversized? A VS pump allows you to dial in the required flow.

Welcome to TFP!

With electric rates that high you will be far better served by getting a true variable speed pump, rather than the ecoPump. I suspect the SuperFlo VS will be slightly undersized for your needs. That means an IntelliFlo (or EcoStar if you want to go Hayward). It will cost a little more up front, but more than make up for it in electrical savings. There is likely to be a utility rebate on upgrading to the IntelliFlo, worth checking into.

Maybe you can buy the superflo VS motor and retrofit it to the superflo pump section for less money? ... Or, the very latest model has a clock if you don't have an automation system.
I know next to nothing about pool pumps, but am definitely willing to learn to hack my pool pump =). I've read several posts on this forum about simply replacing the motor within pump sections, but not seen any actual detail. Can you point me to any more information? What motor would you think I could replace (and what pump if I end up just replacing the whole thing)? I don't see what looks like separate pump motors sold on Amazon.

I wonder if your current pump is massively oversized? A VS pump allows you to dial in the required flow.
I have various suspicions about the previous home owner knowing what they were doing. I would not be surprised if this is the case. In fact, the previous owner ended up foreclosing and I would not be surprised if the pool pump was a contributing factor to that in some small regard.

Good gosh that is expensive electricity! If mine was that high my summer month bills would be $1000 or more. My 1.5hp single speed pump uses 2.08kW, so I would guess your number is accurate for your pump. I would say a vs pump would be the best bet. If/when mine goes out I will be looking at a 2 speed because it's the best mix of savings vs. money spent with my lower electric rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason. What other specs should I look for when looking at the various pumps? I see that there are a few different models that mainly appear to differ in HP and with/without SVRS. I don't think I need SVRS.

Looking on Amazon, the EcoStar seems cheaper (based on Amazon) and I think still may quality for a rebate (2015 rebate information is not posted yet, though it was eligible in 2014).

If you get an IntelliFlo, you want the base model: IntelliFlo Variable Speed. There are much better prices than I currently see on Amazon, for example these people currently have it for $870.

The main difference between the IntelliFlo and EcoStar is automation compatibility. IntelliFlo works with Pentair and newer Jandy automation systems. EcoStar works with Hayward automation systems. If you don't have an automation system, then that probably doesn't matter. The EcoStar is slightly more power efficient. Both have built-in timers for stand alone operation.

I don't have an automation system so I am less worried about that. I'm leaning toward the EcoStar as it seems more energy efficient than the Intelliflow (based on this thread and associated data in the California appliances database linked therein).

Out of curiosity, what sort of things does one automate with pool automation?

Automation systems are most useful when you have a spa. The automation system allows you to press a single button and then it changes the positions of two valves, changes the heater temperature, and changes the SWG percentage setting in and out of spa mode. Another use of automation systems is to get wireless remote control over things like fountain(s), waterfall(s), underwater lighting, and area lighting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Electrical cost is roughly $.32-$.35/kWh depending on season. I noticed that the pump uses a full 2.57kW while running (not just theoretical, but actual based on power consumption). This seems insanely high and I am looking for a more efficient alternative.

Travis,

That is the expected consumption of a 3.5-4 hp motor. Do you *really* have that big a pump? Or need a pump that big? Or is there something else amiss?

The pump is rated at 11.5 amps and is 220V. Based on my hourly electric usage (on sce.com), our usage is .83kW before we leave for work in the morning. Then the 6 hours it runs while we're there our usage jumps to 3.4. Looking at our hourly usage over a wide range of days, I think I may have picked an odd day. Other days seem to show a 2.2kW usage.

Maybe something is wrong with my meter in general, as I would expect the kW jump to be consistent every day, regardless of what else is going on while we are away (we turn the thermostat off when leaving for work, so no variable usage there).

We have a new fridge purchased in May of '13. It is a Whirlpool and I believe is EnergyStar certified. I'd have to check on the expected usage but I don't think it is contributing as much. No other fridge or freezer. Washer and dryer (gas) are also new in '13.

I know next to nothing about pool pumps, but am definitely willing to learn to hack my pool pump =). I've read several posts on this forum about simply replacing the motor within pump sections, but not seen any actual detail. Can you point me to any more information? What motor would you think I could replace (and what pump if I end up just replacing the whole thing)? I don't see what looks like separate pump motors sold on Amazon.

I have various suspicions about the previous home owner knowing what they were doing. I would not be surprised if this is the case. In fact, the previous owner ended up foreclosing and I would not be surprised if the pool pump was a contributing factor to that in some small regard.

I'm sorry, I don't have anymore details. Maybe you could call a Pentair parts dealer and see if just a replacement motor is less than a whole new pump by enough to be worth it. If your power company offers a rebate, maybe it's just best to buy the whole pump. This sure looks like a drop in replacement for you: http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...ump/146742p1?gclid=CKXAhKvZkcMCFchffgod8TQArg

I have no idea about your controls, though. Do you have the standard wheel intermatic timers? The superflo pump needs low voltage signals to control the three possible speeds and you hook up the line voltage (220V) permanently. You use the pump breaker to power it down when you need to service it. You wire it permanently because the electronics inside actually control the speed, whereas the old style motors don't have electronics. So, with an intermatic style mechanical timer (or others, too) you would disconnect all line voltage from the timers and use an existing low voltage transformer (24V) or DC power supply. This is just an example - there are lots of controls out there. Post a picture if you want.

Just to follow up - I went ahead and purchased the Hayward SP3400VSP about three months ago and am extremely happy with the results. Instead of running my pump for 8 hours a day at 2-2.5 kW, I now run it 24 hours a day at ~125 W (23 hours @ 900 RPM/65W, 1 hour at 3250 RPM/1.5kW).

Total cost was ~$900 ($850 for the pump + ~$50 for plumbing supplies - pipe, glue, fittings, saw). SoCal Edison had a $200 rebate for replacing a single speed pump with a variable speed one, and my electrical bill is down $100-150/mo. It's been about four months now and I expect it to have paid for itself in two more months.

I plan to try selling my old pump for $100-200 as well. If I can do that, then it will have already paid for itself.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

-Travis

Well I have a ECOPUMP EP-2 and I will tell you it is by far the best pump I have had. It runs 24/7 and costs me 31 cents a day on low speed or $148 on high plus it comes with a standard 3 year warranty or for $99.00 more a 5 year warranty. I have had it now for 3 years. My old Hayward was costing me $9.48 a day. If you put it on a timer it would be even cheaper.

Glad to see someone post something positive about Ecopump! I just ordered one then came here and have read a lot of threads where people are saying they are nothing special. Our current pump which sounds awful and I think will kick the bucket anytime, is a huge energy hog. Looking forward to the Ecopump!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.