Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help picking new pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help picking new pump.

Hey guys new to the forum and pools. Ive started helping my mom take care of her pool recently and the pump has just died. Its a American Products Ultra-Flo 2hp Pump about 16years old and on its second motor. So I'm looking to install a new more efficient pump and need some directions were to start. i.e. brand and size, two speed or vs.

The pool is 17K in-ground w/Spa and waterfalls. The current pump runs all of it with different valves to direct flow. The pool has one main drain that is tied into the skimmer and vac. Normal pump flow takes water from the pool threw the filter then back into the spa that over flows in to the pool. Or you can take the flow away from the spa and have two waterfalls dump into the pool.

Thanks,
    17K in-ground w/Spa and water falls. American Products Ultra-Flo 2hp Pump, American Products Titan DE Filter, gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help picking new pump.

Hi and welcome to TFP.
    well, for sure you probably should consider a Variable Speed Pump. They are very efficient and with the electric rates in CA, worth looking at.

Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy all make comparable products and all are good quality.
    If you have an automatic controller, to control the pool equipment and those valves, you are well off staying with whatever the brand the controller is, otherwise, there will probably be some communication issues. Otherwise, pick whichever one you like best.

Im probably not the best resource for how many HP the pump should be, but Im sure someone more knowledgeable about that will come along shortly. I can only go by my personal experience with mine.

FWIW, even though my pool really doesnt require a big VS pump, I have the 3 HP Pentair, and I love it!
    It can produce a lot of GPM if I want to and if I dont, I can run it very slow speed for cheap, just to filter the water.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave, I will start looking into VS pumps.
    17K in-ground w/Spa and water falls. American Products Ultra-Flo 2hp Pump, American Products Titan DE Filter, gas heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Another question, whats the deal with pump manufactures not offering a warranty unless the pump is installed by a pool pro? I was going to install the pump my self (Im a electrician). It dose not seem difficult to me, but not having a warranty?