Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any electronically commutated (EC) AC booster pumps for pool skimmers available?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any electronically commutated (EC) AC booster pumps for pool skimmers available?

I find it surprising there are no drop-in EC AC motors to retrofit the thousands of pool skimmer pumps out there. Are there any options??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any electronically commutated (EC) AC booster pumps for pool skimmers available?

I guess you mean the pool pump in general? And why do you find it so surprising?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Any electronically commutated (EC) AC booster pumps for pool skimmers available?

Here you go.

56 Frame ECM
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I dorked up.. I meant ECM pool sweep booster pump..

5. Back To Top    #5

Any electronically commutated (EC) AC booster pumps for pool sweeps available?

For example, I have "Polaris" style booster pump that feeds my pool sweep. Are there any EC motors (variable speed in pool lingo) to retrofit onto my pool sweep pump section?

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think they exist but I think it would be less costly and more energy efficient to just get a robot cleaner or even a non-booster cleaner (e.g. ThePoolCleaner).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you are right. The only issue I see with the electric units is the "system integration" isn't what people are used to. What I mean is, you have a cord laying across the pool deck, versus the nice connection point to the water powered pool sweeps. It seems minor, but I think this comes into play. If there is a more efficient pump that just drops in, saves some power, and allows people to not "change" their habits/system, I would think the country could save some serious energy. Anyway, I'll take a look at the electric sweeps. They seem maintenance intensive and flimsy for the cost.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
    I think you are right. The only issue I see with the electric units is the "system integration" isn't what people are used to. What I mean is, you have a cord laying across the pool deck, versus the nice connection point to the water powered pool sweeps. It seems minor, but I think this comes into play. If there is a more efficient pump that just drops in, saves some power, and allows people to not "change" their habits/system, I would think the country could save some serious energy. Anyway, I'll take a look at the electric sweeps. They seem maintenance intensive and flimsy for the cost.
    I can see your point with the cord from an aesthetic point, but how long is a cleaner gonna be running in the pool. If you are afraid someone will see your "unsightly" cord that powers your expensive robotic cleaner, then make sure it's not in there when company is over. If all of this is just for the cool factor of having a variable speed pressure side pool cleaner, I can't fault you for that. I think it's overkill, but I'm a fan of overkill. Where there's a will, there's a way. Im sure one could retrofit a variable speed motor onto a Polaris pump. I don't know the shaft sizes, but something could be made to work. Maybe pick whatever motor you like, and have a machine shop make an adapter.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Robinasu,

I think you missed my comment about ThePoolCleaner. This particular cleaner does not require a booster pump but connects the same way as your existing cleaner and is used in the same way. It just doesn't need a booster pump which makes it very efficient.

www.thepoolcleaner.com

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, so it uses more efficient internal parts so it can run off the filter pump, only? Is that the deal? I'd like to take a look at it. Any dealers near Granite Bay, CA?

11. Back To Top    #11

Any pool store should carry it
    Just call around.
    Mark