Help identifying solar panels brand

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Bought a house this past september with a pool, got the chemistry great thanks to this site.

A little background:

It came with a solar heating system, but the former owner did not ever use it. He had rebuilt
the pump assembly and only installed a new 3/4 hp motor. I was told by a pool company that
did the inspection that a 1.25 hp motor would be required to get the solar working.

It has an electronic temperature valve controller (not connected) and a three way valve from the pump to
the solar panel plumbing to the roof.

My hope is to have it running this summer as the pool only gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight but not
the whole pool due to trees. The solar panels on the roof do get full sun from 11-4.

I swam in it for ten minutes on our last 90 degree day and boy was it cold.

Here's my 2 questions:

1. Is a 1.25 hp motor required or would 1 hp suffice? (heard 1 hp was sufficient on this forum i think)

2. Can anyone identify which BRAND of panels I have? I didn't see any markings on them. They are hard plastic.

thanks!

I have a 1 THP motor on my pump (1/2 HP) and it primes the panels just fine. Almost any pump will work with a two story solar.

As for the brand of panels, I can't help you with that.

The controller should have a label that has some information. Perhaps even the name of the company that installed the system. They should be able to tell you the panel manufacturer.

I have a 1 THP motor on my pump (1/2 HP) and it primes the panels just fine. Almost any pump will work with a two story solar.

Really? my 3/4 pump should be able to push it up through, without burning up eh? Excellent! (just read the links in your signature)

One of my fears would be if I upgraded the pump motor then on the testing day find a ton of pin hole leaks in various places (worst case scenario)
then all the expense of upgrading the motor and higher cost of running would be for naught.

I'll check on that controller and see what I find for labeling.

How reliable are the vacuum release valves? I'm a little worried that, this system not being used for so long, I may end up
with problems. Any way to test them? Or is it just, open the valves up and hope nothing leaks and water pushes through the
return jets.

I noticed the solar return pipe (in the equipment room, near the pump) has a drain valve like a house spigot. Do I just open that up, with the pump motor off, when the pool is done for the season?
(to empty panels for winter)

thanks

I looked at the controller. No installation company stickers but the controller is:

independent energy inc model c35-1s

The pump motor is an Emerson. HP: 3/4 SF: 1.50 RPM: 3450

Multiplying the hp x sf is: 1.125 bhp so I guess I'm good to go for using it with the solar panels as mas985 says.

Just hope I don't have any trouble with the vacuum release valves when I test it out this summer.

Keep in mind that the motor THP is only loosely related to the pump size. A much better metric is the pump head curve. But if you don't have that THP is the next best thing.

ah ok.

I'm not sure what the pump head curve is, but it looks like my pump and motor Service Factor are roughly the same specs.

So I shouldn't have any problem (barring any unforeseen leaks etc..) running the water through the solar panels, correct?

thanks for your help.

The SP2607 has a head curve that is compatible with solar. Like I said before, it has a similar head curve as my pump and my pump works fine with two story solar.

well, I'll be.

I was doing some maintenance today and noticed the decals on the solar plumbing for indicating
flow direction has 2 stickers. One of the installer & the other of the solar panel manufacturer.

Both companies still in business. Great!

The panels were made by "Solar Industries" out of Lakewood, NJ.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.