Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pool build in Nicaragua

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build in Nicaragua

Hello, I am new. This site is excellent and much appreciated.

We are undertaking a new build in Nicaragua for a big dipping pool. Very deep skinny house with a strange L porch.

Is about 23' x 23' with one corner 45'd. Deep is 68" shallow is about 44".

Will be all mosaic tile. Partially out of the ground. With a three seat bar on one outside edge. Future will be an outdoor kitchen in the lower left of the diagram.

This will be block with a bond beam bottom and top and rebar throughout.

Equipment will be.

7800 Gal all mosaic tile concrete FW
    Pentair 420 SF Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter
    Pentair 1-1/2 Whisperflo 2 speed pump
    4 returns
    Pentair cleaner boost pump
    Polaris 280
    2 Intellibrite LED
    2 Pentair LED Intellibrite Bubbler
    Intellibrite controller
    4 Jandy deck jets
    1 36" Sheer descent waterfall
    2 Ceramic vase water pouring spouts
    All Jandy valves
    Auto fill
    Overflow

No automation

The pool will have a tanning deck at the top of the two sided steps
    We will be renovating the floor of the porch and will install a home theater as well.

Since this is Nicaragua, it is more economical to hand dig the excavation.

We just started a couple hours ago.

Here is a pic[IMG]

Marked off and ready to dig. Just starting.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Tiles: The blue is the pool mosaic. The brown is accents for lines near edges of steps and seats. The red is for the porch (the existing porch tile is hideous 1970's vinyl) and the other large tile is for the pool deck.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wood delivery for the bond beam forms!
    [IMG][/IMG]

PVC purchased
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a simple crude diagram and elevation legend.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

More to come.
    Warren in Rivas, Nicaragua
    10,000 Gallon all mosaic tile pool- Whisperflo 2 speed 1.5hp - Pentair CC plus 420sf - Polaris 280 - 2 Intellibrite LED - 2 Intellibrite LED bubbler - 4 Jandy deck jet - 1 sheer descent - no automation - autofill - K-2006 test kit - pool deck 540sf - porch attached to pool deck -740 sf - My build thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool build in Nicaragua

Wow, this could be very interesting. I am sure many of use would like to continue to see photos of the build which will be done very differently from how they are done in the US ... hand digging?!?! Single horse power wood delivery
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !
    This is going to be very interesting to say the least. Please keep us posted on your progress with lots of pictures ! This will be one to watch. Hand digging, my hats off to you !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, we will dig by hand because there is not really much. It is part out of the ground and the pool was designed to take advantage of the slope. A few guys a few days and done. There will be a lattice fence on the two open sides. Low cost of labor here.
    10,000 Gallon all mosaic tile pool- Whisperflo 2 speed 1.5hp - Pentair CC plus 420sf - Polaris 280 - 2 Intellibrite LED - 2 Intellibrite LED bubbler - 4 Jandy deck jet - 1 sheer descent - no automation - autofill - K-2006 test kit - pool deck 540sf - porch attached to pool deck -740 sf - My build thread

5. Back To Top    #5

This looks great! Keep the pics coming!

oh..and welcome to TFP!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

This should be a very interesting build!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your build with us.

I'll be watching
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Subscribed!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

Love the horse power! I am definitely following this build - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

9. Back To Top    #9

3 guys, 7 hours = 12% excavated.

8800 Gal all mosaic tile concrete FW, Pentair 420 SF Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair 1-1/2 Whisperflo 2 speed pump, 4 returns, Pentair cleaner boost pump, Polaris 280, 2 Intellibrite LED, 2 Pentair LED Intellibrite Bubbler, Intellibrite controller, 4 Jandy deck jets, 1 36" Sheer descent waterfall, 2 Ceramic vase water pouring spouts, All Jandy valves, Auto fill, Overflow

10. Back To Top    #10

New pool build in Nicaragua

Nice job ! What's the avg. depth you have dug out 3-4 ft ? Have you hit any rock and what's the plan if you do since it's all hand work ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

man i hope it dont rain on you any time soon!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

Varies because of the slope of the terrain and we are gonna excavate the whole thing to same depth since it is block. Easy end will need a total of 39" taken out the hard end will be about 58". I think about 6 more days. No nasty rock or anything at all so far. Part of the pool is out of the ground.

This is dry season so rain is close to very unlikely.

13. Back To Top    #13

That's good to hear! I'm pretty sure this may be the first hand dug pool on TFP. These guys will probably get it done quicker than my PB did with an excavator.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

The guys say 4.5 days. This is day two.

15. Back To Top    #15

I think that's pretty impressive to be honest.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

That is impressive. If I was digging it you would be waiting 4.5 Months and it would not look near as good as they are doing lol. I am excited to see this done.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

OH fun! Thanks for letting us come along for the build!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Second day, 3 guys, 15 hours total = 25% excavated

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    OH fun! Thanks for letting us come along for the build!
    Kim

Indeed, I'm very appreciative of being able to see such an unusual build! I mean dug by hand, we just don't get to see that too often.

Question for you MrNica. We notice you have all the materials on site we normally don't see here until the various build phases. Things like plaster, piping, tile, etc. My wife is guessing this is because you may have a long way to go to get it? Around here, they just run down to the hardware/pool suppliers as they need things, or they order it near the end of the project.

Really looking forward to seeing this one progess, thanks again for sharing with us.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

We have a store called Sinsa which is like Home Depot on steroids in Managua. http://www.sinsa.com.ni/index.php 90 min away so I hired a large stake bed truck and got all the ceramic for 3 parts of the job, pipe, fittings and electrical because they have a better inventory than local places here and a better discount.

Everything else will be purchased local. Wood, rebar, cement, sand, gravel etc. (Delivered by horse). We have 4 decent small mom and pop places in town. Rivas is a decent size town. Maybe 75,000.00

We are not in the sticks here but a really great store like Sinsa is a small trek but not too bad.

There are two decent pool supply places in Managua but they are pricey. One small mom and pop pool supply place here in Rivas. I ordered all of my stuff, filter, pumps, lights, skimmer, floor drains, Polaris 280, return fittings etc everything from Amazon. All will arrive next week.

One thing you cannot buy here is coping bricks. I will use formed concrete with dye/colorizer. It will actually be a 2" thick wall cap that is radiused for most of it because a good piece of he pool is 20-30" out of the ground. (The side towards the house)

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast