Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me take the clouds out of my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me take the clouds out of my pool!

Hi all,

Well the pool is just 4 weeks old now. Unfortunately the concrete layers had a small spill of concrete into the pool water about 3 weeks ago which I have been working on clearing.

A super aggressive flocking agent and lots of vacuums later I am now getting little dust settling on the floor, but the pool is still not sparkling and has a slightly cloudy look. I can see the drain at the deep end ok and under water have about 15" visibility.

My tests are as follows:

FC 2.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.3
    TA 40
    CH 50
    CYA 10
    Salt 3200
    Temp 80deg

I am lifting TA and CYA now based on these tests. But I don't suppose those being low will be contributing to the slightly cloudy water?

I am assuming that there is just fine dust still in the water that the filter cannot clear? Do I need to FLOC again to try and clear more of the fine dust or is there something else I can do?

Thanks
    19K gal Fibreglass, Astral Pool Viron eQuilibrium Auto SWG, 3 Speed Astral Pool Viron Evo Pump, Astral Pool RX360 glass filter
    Starting off the New Zealand Summer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me take the clouds out of my pool!

I just did a little googling, and your filter is, essentially, a sand filter. They take a long time to filter out really fine stuff. Sadly, the more often you backwash, the less effective they are. They filter best when they are a little dirty.

There is a way to speed things up, though: Add Diatomaceous Earth. Or cellulose fiber replacement for DE. Consider the sand filter to be chicken wire or a barbeque grate. DE/cellulose would be like setting a window screen atop it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would also stop using the floc as it can sometime's make matters worse. Try Richards advice and see how things go.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys...will add the DE. Looking online here there is lots of Food Grade DE flour available. Is this what I am after?
    19K gal Fibreglass, Astral Pool Viron eQuilibrium Auto SWG, 3 Speed Astral Pool Viron Evo Pump, Astral Pool RX360 glass filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No, pool DE is different. It's cheap and can be found at any pool store.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

what chief said.

I had a similar situation when my deck was poured, a bit of concrete in the pool. Filtering even with cartridge filter was real slow.
    I eventually turned off the pump for a day and let it settle to bottom and then vacuumed it out. Had to do this a few times, but I finaly got it all.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a sand filter and use DE and replace it after each backwash. You can buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot, (or whatever large hardware store you have in your area) for very cheap. It works a treat.

I would be cautious about cellulose. I have used it and it caused my sand to get kind of sticky and well, just weird.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just make sure you get pool DE, not food grade or gardening varieties. Your cloudiness my be a direct result of using the floc. Hard to say, but it's very likely. I would discourage using any more.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestion guys. My PB has just told me that the filter is a glass filter, not sand. Will the DE still work?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzziebro View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. My PB has just told me that the filter is a glass filter, not sand. Will the DE still work?
    It's a sand filter but filled with glass granules. Should be no problem. http://www.astralpool.com.au/product...spamediafilter
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

It's the same principal, slightly different media. After all, sand is almost glass.

It will work just as well as it would with sand in the filter, no worries.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey, Cuzziebro - Please report back and tell us how well adding DE worked. A friend of mine has a new setup like yours - a sand filter w/ glass media. He's complained about how long it takes to clear water and I'd like to share your results w/ him.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post
    Hey, Cuzziebro - Please report back and tell us how well adding DE worked. A friend of mine has a new setup like yours - a sand filter w/ glass media. He's complained about how long it takes to clear water and I'd like to share your results w/ him.

Cheers!
    Sure Thing, I have just picked up the powder this afternoon so will add it tonight and let you know.

Fingers crossed.....I so want a sparkling pool!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I just did a little googling, and your filter is, essentially, a sand filter. They take a long time to filter out really fine stuff. Sadly, the more often you backwash, the less effective they are. They filter best when they are a little dirty.

There is a way to speed things up, though: Add Diatomaceous Earth. Or cellulose fiber replacement for DE. Consider the sand filter to be chicken wire or a barbeque grate. DE/cellulose would be like setting a window screen atop it.
    Righteo.....about 3 cups of DE added so far. The PSI on the filter started at 11....and hasn't moved. Do I keep adding?

The pool school link says 1-2 cups should do it. So if 3 cups hasn't moved the needle it would tell me that the filter isn't catching it?

15. Back To Top    #15

Righteo.....about 3 cups of DE added so far. The PSI on the filter started at 11....and hasn't moved. Do I keep adding?

The pool school link says 1-2 cups should do it. So if 3 cups hasn't moved the needle it would tell me that the filter isn't catching it?
    Don't add any more. You'll just clog things.

Be patient. We've had many reports here that the pressure climbs rapidly after a few hours.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Don't add any more. You'll just clog things.

Be patient. We've had many reports here that the pressure climbs rapidly after a few hours.
    Thanks Richard....will check it again tomorrow.

17. Back To Top    #17

Well almost 24 hours later and no pressure change and the pool still looks around the same. Reading a few posts, I see some people have had success without a pressure change.

I had the pump running on high speed, wondering if perhaps I should have added while on low speed? Only problem is the filter shows pretty much zero PSI at low speed so hard to see any PSI changes.

Do I keep adding?

18. Back To Top    #18

Well almost 24 hours later and no pressure change and the pool still looks around the same. Reading a few posts, I see some people have had success without a pressure change.

I had the pump running on high speed, wondering if perhaps I should have added while on low speed? Only problem is the filter shows pretty much zero PSI at low speed so hard to see any PSI changes.

Do I keep adding?
    If nbo pressure change in 25 hours, I'd say yes.

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi all, an update:

Well the pressure in the filter in fact slowly dropped after adding the DE, I had the pool around 90% clear I would say. The other day I noticed that the suction in the filter basket at the end of the pool had dropped somewhat.

I hadn't back washed the filter for around 3 weeks so figured that this must be the problem. I back washed for around 2 minutes and the sight glass stayed clear the whole time. I then rinsed the filter and that was when I got some muck in the sightglass, sort of a yellow look to the water which I am guessing was the DE. I rinsed until it went clear and then put the filter back into filter mode.

I walked up to the pool area and noticed that the return jets were letting in a massive cloud of white water!! I ran down and shut the pump off and again back washed and rinsed and all was clear. Turned the filter on again and was still getting the white clouds. I now have a cloudy pool that has probably lost around 30% more clarity

I am guessing I have somehow flushed the DE back into the pool? If so, 2 questions.....

1) What have I done incorrectly with my above routines?
    2) What is my best method for clearing the DE from the pool?

Current pool vitals are:

FC 1.5
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 50
    CYA 35
    Salt 3200
    Temp 80deg

20. Back To Top    #20

I think you have to deep wash your filter. If the sand in your filter has channels, than the DE will end up in the pool. The pressure should not be zero even at low speed. If the pressure dropped after adding the DE is possible that you have another obstruction before pump (pump filter?).
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast