Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubles entering through pump inlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubles entering through pump inlet

I can see air bubbles coming in through the pump inlet through the clear cover. I have inspected all the pipe joints that go to the pump and all seems well. The skimmer is clear/full

there are constant small air bubbles coming out one of the jets.

What next?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubles entering through pump inlet

just saw in another post someone suggested running a garden hose over the piping, I will try that tomorrow but I listened carefully and couldn't hear any hissing through the piping

If I find it to not be the piping then what next? Is it possible it could be underground? I don't know how air would get down there though.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you isolate your pump suction? Have it suck from only main drains or just skimmers? If so you could switch back and forth till the bubbles don't show up.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

4. Back To Top    #4

Having the same issue. Did the water hose check and found there where 2 o rings in my diverter valve in front of the pump and one was leaking. When i exposed the valve and started the pump it would not prime until i ran water over the oring and it primed right up once the air leak was filled. good luck!

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no valve on the suction side, unless its underground. There is both a filter pump and pool sweep pump. Both lines go underground and probably meet I suppose.

The pump primes great, this is a pretty small amount of air we are talking about here.

6. Back To Top    #6

You wouldn't have valves underground.

I assume you have main drains in the floor and skimmers. There isn't a valve to select one or the other?

Does the air work it's way out or is it constant?

I would try the water hose test.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

7. Back To Top    #7

The most common problem is low water level or a stuck skimmer flapper causing a vortex in the skimmer. Take a look while it's running and see if there's a tornado in the skimmer well.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

One pipe comes out of the ground and goes to the filter pump and one pipe comes out of the ground and goes to the sweep pump, or maybe goes from the sweep pump

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The most common problem is low water level or a stuck skimmer flapper causing a vortex in the skimmer. Take a look while it's running and see if there's a tornado in the skimmer well.
    skimmer stays full

9. Back To Top    #9

Success!!!!!

Bubbles disappeared from the basket area completely with the garden hose. I feel a lot better know its not underground...

10. Back To Top    #10

Where is the leak?
    ~Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    Where is the leak?
    one of the inlet pipe connections

12. Back To Top    #12

So it seems I have fixed the suction leak, but there are still some bubbles coming out one of the jets. I can't see any bubbles coming in the suction pipe through the inlet area

Any ideas? there is a small leak in the filter (o-ring ordered), but that is pressure side so I don't think it could be that but I guess we'll see

13. Back To Top    #13

If you had air leaking in for a while it might take some time to get it out of the system. Do you have the ability to bleed the filter off or any other high spots?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

On what part of the pipe did you try the hose trick?

15. Back To Top    #15

I did bleed the filter off, seal on it is really bad, new one on order. Hose trick was on inlet pipe.