Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Test Kit ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Test Kit ??

currently using a taylor k1000 for FC and PH.
    TA, CH and CYA are tested at the local pool shop.

need new kit for testing FC beyond 5.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Test Kit ??

Best bang for the buck is the TF100. Same reagents as the Taylor K-2006, but the quantities are more realistic.

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

If you ever planned to become a TFP supporter, you'll get a discount on the test kit if you sign up first.

I recommend the speedstir as well - it really improves the testing. And if you spring for the XL option now, you will save on shipping when you need refills. The FAS-DPD powder is very difficult to find in stores; the other reagents are easy to get if you get caught short somehow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by UaVaj View Post
    currently using a taylor k1000 for FC and PH.
    TA, CH and CYA are tested at the local pool shop.

need new kit for testing FC beyond 5.
    Richard has already covered which kit you should get, so I'll skip that.

Sorry to disagree, but you need a new kit to test more than FC above 5. If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Two different pool stores told me my CYA was in the 80 - 100 range, but when I tested myself I found it 200+. Just for laughs I took three samples, tested one myself and took the other two to two different stores. While some of their numbers were close to mine, others were off the chart. Test everything yourself.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Best bang for the buck is the TF100.
    This.

5. Back To Top    #5

The TF 100 is the best buy for sure. If your pool is doing ok right now, it will go on sale in March.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Another super thumbs up for the TF-100. Best value and when ordering reagents for refills, they ship quick. Fresh reagents as well. http://tftestkits.net/ is great to work with.

+1 Speed Stir as well. Some view it as a toy/unnecessary but I really think it helps with mixing thoroughly and consistently.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

I got a TF-100 last year, quite happy with it.

Highly recommend the Speed-Stir as well. Really helps keep the testing consistent.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jrs_diesel View Post
    I got a TF-100 last year, quite happy with it.

Highly recommend the Speed-Stir as well. Really helps keep the testing consistent.
    I agree on this point for sure. The SS will really make testing a lot easier. It's worth every penny.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem