Brian7270's Renovation

Jul 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well it was a tedious process buts its basically finished now. We purchased a "fixer upper" home outside Dallas, Texas in February knowing a lot of work would be required. The pool renovation and yard renovation grew much larger than anticipated. The previous owners took care of very little. They never sealed the brick patio and brick pavers were popping up all over. It also did not help that the way the original builder built the pool was really messed up. That has been par for the course on this home though.

I will try to document the various issues in this post.

The equipment was generally in favorable condition other than the heater and the time clock. I installed a new 250,000 btu Hayward gas heater and a Jandy Aqualink System and made some minor modifications to the piping to repair some minor leaks. Other than that I was lucky on that end.

The pool shell itself was in good condition with no leaks, which is surprising given how little care it received. Per my neighbor the pool sat full of leaves and green for three years. The plaster showed it and I knew I needed to replaster the pool. I did not expect the other work that would be required nor the problems I would have trying to determine a solution. I was not planning to spend gobs of money to renovate the pool at this time. I was planning that for down the line when I completed a full renovation of the home. Oh well, that plan was about to change...

Here is an overall picture of the pool:
PoolandWall2004.jpg

I had already started taking off pavers from the coping area by this time. They were popping off with alarming ease due to water penetrating and a few freeze thaw cycles over the years. Here you can see the paver/bond beam condition that becomes quite problematic:
PoolandWall2001.jpg

Note, I was trying to find thin coping materials to match the depth of the existing pavers at the deck. The problem you see is that they poured the pool deck concrete at the same height as the bond beam. This means I was limited to trying to find a coping material of 1/2" unless I wanted to either replace the entire deck, chip down the bond beam or have a condition where the coping is higher than the deck because you see all new coping materials are generally no thinner than 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 inches!

The paver problem grows:
PoolandWall001.jpg

What was starting as a simple replaster and minor paver repair quickly turned into a much more expensive issue. I had about four or five pool companies out to look at my pool. I contacted more by email sending them pictures of the condition. More than often I got little response or if they did come out I never heard from them again. Nobody wanted to try to replace the pavers and they are no longer made this width, length and thickness anyway. I went to every place in town trying to locate them. Each pool company would only work on the project if they could redo everything. Finally, I realized I had a much more significant renovation on my hands and got into touch with three decent companies that would actually call me back and show up on time. What I was proposing was to replace the coping area and the rear paver wall with slate. Nobody was to keen on that and each proposed installing flagstone, requiring a significant chipping down of the bond beam area. Costs were on the rise...

In the end I settled on a small one man company in Dallas called Pool-Tek. I was actually given the owners name (Jerry) by a large reputable pool company that said they did not like to do renovations. Jerry turned out to be quite down to earth and a very responsible guy.

More to come...

Brian

Jerry recommended chipping down the bond beam and installing flagstone as well as flagstone on the rear wall area and rear flatwork area around the spa. He would repair the pavers at the deck areas with salvaged pavers I kept. This was a big deal to a lot of people by the way who wanted nothing to do with repairing the existing deck with the salvaged pavers and wanted to flagstone my entire patio (1500 SF!).

Here you can see the before and during flagstone work:

100_1615.jpg

100_1631.jpg

We had to choose plaster materials, plaster colors and tile colors and after much deliberating settled on an Onyx Quartzscape for the plaster with Travora Tan waterline tile. We deliberated over the pebble materials but my wife was really down on the idea of having pebbles digging into your feet all the time.

Here you can see the tile and flagstone:

100_1632.jpg

We were not liking the tile too much at this point unfortunately as it was lighter than we anticipated. But in the end it comes out nicely when the black plaster is in place and the pool filled. The tile and stonework took about two weeks.

Here you can see the plaster starting:

100_1668.jpg

100_1682.jpg

Acid Washing:
100_1690.jpg

Filling:
100_1704.jpg

Note how grey the plaster looks at this point before the acid bath and brushing. I was out of town during the plaster work which made me nervous but it seems the work went real well. They were in and out in just a few hours and the pool was getting filled immediately.

After acid bath and regular brushing here is how it turned out:

100_1752.jpg

Also, I had installed my palms and beds around the same time.

100_1751.jpg

100_1754.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1761.jpg

The pool renovations turned out well I think.

Brian

Your pool looks AWESOME Brian!

It must feel great to enjoy it! :goodjob:

Thanks for the compliments. I have simplified the steps here, it was much more painful a process than I expected and I am a developer by the way so I am by no means a novice to construction.

I started looking at options and interviewing people in early March and did not get my contractor started until mid July. The total renovation took about three weeks and that includes having the contractor redo the coping work around the pool. This is one reason I would have no qualms about recommending Pool-Tek as they tore out and redid all the flagstone coping when I did not like the gap between the bottom of the flagstone and the top of the waterline tile. They did that with not a single complaint and without me even telling them to. He came out when I questioned it and saw the work and said its not to his standards and had it redone.

Brian

Your redo looks amazing! You are very lucky to have found someone that listened to what you wanted and gave it to you as expected. The new pool looks nothing like the old one, almost like a small privet lake in your back yard. Love it and thanks for sharing....Kimrst

Brian,

I am down to deciding on either Onyx or French Gray Quartzscapes for my pool. Do you have a picture you can send me of how the Onyx looks? All your pictures on this thread a re removed. it woudl really help...have to make a decision in a day or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.