First ever test day

txnole

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2014
Amelia Island, FL
Good morning, TFP'ers! Our PB has signed over water maintenance to TXNOLE and here are my first Taylor test results:

AIR TEMP: 56
WATER TEMP: 56
VOLUME: 14,100g
Disclosures: Pentair SWG was reading 2800 yesterday. 40# salt added.

FC: 8.5
TC: 8.5
pH: 7.4
TA: 40-50
CH: 500
CYA: 50
Salt: 3400

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Again, please presume some margin of error, as these are (1) our first water tests and (2) my first tests with this kit.
I will take water to pool store later today to confirm approximate readings, but I feel confident that I used full drops, etc.
Given that salt was added yesterday, I'm inclined to just monitor the FC/TC numbers as they come down, but very open to your valuable input, please!!

Great job! Ours just finished about three weeks ago. Hopefully you will find caring for your pool as enjoyable as I do. Definitely a learning experience...so much that I made sure my HS science teacher was thanked for doing such a good job teaching.

JB

P.S. - Need some pictures of the finished product. :)

Everything looks pretty good.
Your CYA level could come up a bit. We recommend it to be in the 70-80 ppm range. You'll get better protection from the sun there and you'll run your pump less and that will also help with the PH rise from the SWG. Just something to keep in mind.
If your TA goes below 50 from using acid to keep your PH in check I would raise it back up to 60-70. Use baking soda for that. Whenever it falls below 50 bring it back up.
Your CH is a little high so keep your PH under 8.0. Do you know the ch of your fill water ? Your PH will rise since the pool is new. This will slow done as time goes on from the curing process. Just make sure to keep your PH in range to prevent scaling. Limiting the time if you can on using water features, will help with PH rising from aeration.
Don't worry about TC. Just test for FC and CC. TC is FC and CC combined.
The last thing I'll mention is to TRUST YOUR testing. If you compare the pool stores results and your test results, their going to be different and you'll get confused on what to do. Always trust your testing and stay within our recommended ranges and you'll be fine.
Recommended Levels

Thank you, both. Two things that are pretty interesting factors to watch as we learn this pool:

1) Screen enclosure. We really have no feel for the UV blockage / impact just yet. It will be interesting to see how chlorine breaks down.
2) Spillover effect. We have a 7' spillover that is always on, aerating the water. It will be interesting to see how that impacts PH.

I will definitely retest the TA later this week. We have not added anything since the PB last maintained it 7-10 days ago. I really don't know how much of anything they were adding. We haven't added acid, so.... if the TA number holds on a retest, we'll definitely look at soda this week to bring it up.

Sorry, I missed the screen enclosure so yes that could help with the UV affecting the FC loss.
Your approach sounds good. You'll learn your pools habits with accurate testing. Another good thing to do is keep a log of your test results and you'll start to see trends in your parameters. Any questions don't hesitate to ask !

Yeah, check the CH of your fill water. That'll determine if your CH needs close attention and how helpful it will be when you replace water.

As pwrstrk says, trust your own testing. I would stay out of the pool store as it will be probably be far less accurate and only confuse you.

Don't be surprised if your pH goes up rather quickly......the waterfall and SWG both contribute to rising pH.....just test it often.

The screen enclosure will reduce your chlorine consumption noticeably just as it will reduce your heat from the sun.

Well, the good news is... I feel like I've learned something this week. The bad news is I feel like an idiot for making an obvious mistake.

1/17 Readings
AIR TEMP: 48
WATER TEMP: 56
VOLUME: 14,100g
Disclosures: Pentair SWG, Screen Enclosure

FC: 11.5
TC: 11.5
pH: 8.2
TA: 70
CH: 550
CYA: 50
SI: 0.8
Salt: 3300

Following last week's test results, I added 12# baking soda to increase TA. That seemed to bring TA closer into line. As for my learning, I added the 12# of baking soda all at once. That was not a great idea. I have some powder residue still on the pool floor and found some residue as I was cleaning the filter. Next time I will add 4# at a time. Until then... back to sweeping my pool!

Questions:
1. Should I add another 6# of baking soda to try to achieve 80-100 TA?

2. Due to the high FC, I have dialed the Intellichlor back from 60% to 40%. Thoughts?

3. Pending your answers on TA, should I add acid to address the PH?

4. We have seen some mild cloudiness in the water, which I have attributed to the 12# all at once soda. I have cleaned the cartridge filter and expect that will get us back in the good zone, but I realize this could also be Saturation Index related. Please advise.

Again... really, really appreciate your insights.

Next time you add baking soda or anything in a powder form except CYA which goes in a sock to dissolve, pre-dissolve it in a bucket of water. Then slowly pour it in front of a return with the pump running.
Leave your TA right where it's at. For a SWG we recommend the TA be around 60 - 80 to help slow the PH rise from the SWG. Higher TA levels make PH levels rise faster.
Your PH is high so get that lowered ASAP.
For your SWG we recommend your CYA level to be 70-80. One of the reasons we recommend the CYA level at those levels is it helps protect your FC better and that means less runtime of your SWG and will help with PH increase from the SWG. You could leave it for now since the angle of the sun isn't where it's at like during the summer, but if your losing more than 3 ppm of FC a day I would increase it now. If your not then it can wait till later. At some point though increase it to 70-80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Pool Math page recommends 21oz of acid to address pH, if I have entered all of my results correctly. Since my first go with the soda was a bit foolish, can anyone confirm my numbers at 21oz? I understand acid is done carefully (plenty of breathing room) in front of a jet while the pump is operating for at least 30-60 minutes. Correct?

I get a PH of 7.4 if you add 21 oz of acid. Is that what you got ?
Yep just pour it slowly if front of a return with pump running. 30 minutes will be fine to retest.

That's what I got, too. Unfortunately my local Ace Hardware didn't have acid in stock today, so they sold me on the Clorox product (powder Sodium Bisulfate). I dissolved 18oz which was lower than their suggested (24oz) but I would rather take it slow on something that I'm not familiar with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.