Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy iAqualink with Hayward Ecostar

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy iAqualink with Hayward Ecostar

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade to a variable speed pump. I recently placed an order for a hayward ecostar per my local pool stores recommendation. Their understanding from the hayward rep is that the iaqualink should have no issue communicating with the ecostar via the rs485 bus. After searching the internet and these forums I've found various discussions that suggest that they don't know how to talk, but most of the sources I've found are several years old. It certainly seems possible that in the last couple years hayward has updated the firmware on the ecostar to speak jandy.

So ... does anyone know the answer? Can an iAqualink controller talk to a Hayward Ecostar via the RS485 bus? Should I cancel my order and get something more compatible?

Thanks!
    -rob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy iAqualink with Hayward Ecostar

Welcome to TFP!

As far as I know, Jandy branded variable speed pumps and the Pentair IntelliFlo are supported by Jandy automation systems, but not any of the Hayward variable speeds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Jandy iaqualink will NOT talk with a hayward eco star
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback. I left a voicemail at the pool store canceling my order. I'll probably go with an Intelliflo. So frustrating that the Hayward rep was adamant that they are compatible. He must have been confusing/thinking about the "relay" method using several aux relays to control the speeds? Oh well.
    15k gunite pool with attached spa; iAqualink controller; Intelliflo VF pump; hayward cartridge filter; Heliocol solar panels; Hayward H250 natural gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah personally the intelli flow i think is a better pump anyways if you have any trouble connecting them feel free to ask and I can step you through it

6. Back To Top    #6

One of the Jandy variable speed pumps might be a good choice. I always prefer to use the same manufacturer when using automation and variable speed pumps or other electronically controlled equipment.

7. Back To Top    #7

Was wondering if the Jandy iAqualink 2.0 will communicate with a Hayward single speed pump? From everything I read it wont with variable speed but what about single speed. I want to purchase the unit but wanted to make sure. I currently have the Jandy PDA Handheld and it communicates with the Hayward pump with no issues. Thanks.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Any single speed pump uses a relay to simply cut power on and off. Any single speed pump will work with the aqualink system as long as you have a relay open or are replacing an existing pump
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Matrix. It is my existing pump. Upgrading the board to accommodate iAqualink.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry, should have read the whole thread. You should be good then!
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit