Suction valve making noise

Oct 27, 2014
Heartland
So i have been trying to find a leak on the suction side of my equipment as i am losing water and having bubbles in my return. Well it is getting worse as the pump is now having issue with priming. I have a automated valve in front of the pump that i ever since i got the pool 3 months ago I hear a slight hiss when the pump turns off. I also noticed the filter is now gulping when the pump turns off. My questions is I have checked around the glued section of pvc around the valve and can not find any leaks. I saw a small dribble spot on the pad when i shut the valve off from the front of the connection to the pump but I have not been able to make it leak again. Do automated valves have any gaskets, seals in them that could be leaking rather than the valve housing?

Yes the automated valves do have seals inside of them that do go out and could cause you to be sucking some air they are very simple to replace my recommendation would be to get a garden hose start your pump and run water over all the areas that are before the pump and see if then the pump starts working properly if that is the case then you can be sure you have a suction leak and start tearing into the valves looks like you have a threaded 2' nipple in front of your pump as well over time i have seen those come slightly loose and have a small suction leak i'd check it with the garden hose first then update me on what you find

Thank man! Yeah I finally found a parts diagram for the valve and 1 of the 2 o-rings is leaking by. The water test confirmed it as the pump primed as soon as i filled the space with water. Going to see if local pool shop has it tomorrow. On a side not still saw bubbles in the spa return line with water hose over the leak so have a feeling I still have a leak to find. I will update once I get the oring replaced

One of my valves on the pressure side (my only actuated one for the solar) leaks a bit of water by the shaft o-rings. No problem with any of the other non-actuated valves. I even pulled it apart last year and put in new o-rings from a new, unused extra valve. The leak started again. I wonder if the actuator is applying a bit of torque to the shaft which allows the pair of shaft o-rings to leak. Kind of annoying.

Ok got the o-ring placed today and the pump primed much better than i have seen it in the 4 months i have had the pool. Still wasnt happy thought as the return jets and pump glass where bubbling.Took your advice sacpro and ran the hose over the 2" nipple at the inlet of the pump and BOOM sight glass clear and return jets nice and smooth. So I want to replace the nipple and have done a little PVC repair work but dont know the best way to replace the nipple as the person who pipped my pool left me almost no space for any repair ever!!!! I heard about coupling extension that will slip over a coupling and allow you to either put a fitting or piece of pipe in the other end. In front of the pump thier is actually 1 coupling joing the valve and a small piece of pvc to the nipple coupling to the pump. I am thinking I may just need to cut the first coupling in half and try the coupling extension with a small piece of PVC into the new nipple? Thoughts thanks again Sac Pro for the pointers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.