Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: any real algae risk?

1. Back To Top    #1

any real algae risk?

Good morning

Pool not covered, water temp in the low 40s, chemistry within ranges from PoolMath settings TFP.com, bleach and plaster.

In this situation, is there any real algae risk with a few worms and leaves in the deep end and a thin layer of fir needles and other fine debris throughout and a mouse/salamander/frog now and then?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: any real algae risk?

nope. No significant risk as long as your FC is where it should be.
    You do need to check it periodically though, and adjust your FC as needed.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    nope. No significant risk as long as your FC is where it should be.
    You do need to check it periodically though, and adjust your FC as needed.
    Ok, will stop chasing every fir needle though the worms are kinda ugly.
    I do track FC, pH, TA, CH and CYA. Keep FC > 5 which is quite easy at these ambients and cloud cover as FC takes weeks to decline.

Thank you.
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's the only thing about cold pool water I like is how the FC level slowly decreases, especially compared to summer time.

My pool is similar, I don't have a cover and don't have to winterize here in Texas either. I walk around with my skimmer net about once a week, and the Polaris takes care of whatever sinks to the bottom when needed. Even when there's stuff in the water I have not seen any CC show up on my weekly test.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

When the water temp is sub 50F, algae growth is little to none. Just keep an eye on it to be sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem