New Fill and Questions on start up

Nov 1, 2014
North Texas
I love everything I have been learning on this board! And while I am way intimated and overwhelmed I am anxious to get started. What I need help with is what to expect post fill and during the start up phase for a chlorine pool. We filled on Tuesday/Wednesday and pump start up was Thursday. I was at work so I am not sure what all was added that day.

PB has indicated we should run pumps and water features 24/7 for 2 weeks, brush daily, but no additional chemicals will be added before we have pool school next Wednesday. After throwing a fit and directing them to the Wet Edge start up specs for our Primera Stone plaster they finally agreed to have someone come out and check it on Monday again. We are using a super reputable builder, so I am very shocked that they aren't following manufacturer recommendations. But maybe I am missing something since it's technically still 'start up'. I can't find any other specs on what is a typical process for start ups. It is also super cold out for North Texas. We are currently having temps below freezing at night and 30's during the day which I know is slowing it some.

I've been testing the water and pH was over 8.0 at fill (still trying to figure out how you test over 8.0), 6.8 after start up and 7.8 yesterday, so I am sure it's over that by now. Should I be worried about this?

No chlorine added yet. Thanks!

And yes I am about to go figure out my sig! ;)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Keep your pH below 8.0 all the time.

No chlorine 'til Wednesday in your cold weather is OK.....I would plan on getting some in soon after that.

Can you post test results for CH and TA?

Welcome to TFP!

Start with the new plaster startup article in Pool School. Then take a look at the National Plasterers Council Startup Card. The Pool School article is a better overview, but the NPC card is a good reference when debating with others. Sadly the new version of the NPC card is difficult to read because their annoying logo overlays. The NPC goes into lots of detail, much of which is often skipped. In any case, the first common chemical addition is just a slight bit of chlorine on day three.

Thanks. I read the pool school article, but I will go check the NPC card. I think they used an acid start-up method. Based on what I have read so far I am mainly concerned about the pH because I know it's over 8.0 already.

Fill Water
FC .8
CC 1.6
pH over 8.0
TA 130
CH 250

Afternoon after start up
Chlorine wouldn't register
pH 7.0
TA 75
CH 225

Only tested pH yesterday and it was 8.0 based on my Taylor kit and 7.8 based on kit builder left. The water is SUPER cold and I am afraid it may be skewing some of the results. How long can I let it sit inside and still get accurate readings?

This morning's numbers:
pH still over 8.0
TA 90
CH 260

I'm not sure how to interpret the bouncing numbers. Not sure if it's my testing methods or the cold water. When testing for CH do you count turning from red to violet or count until it's fully blue? I am counting to blue.

Ok, read the NPC card. I already saw it in the manufacturer's specs, but didn't know that is what it was. Hence the reason I am fighting with PB! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.